Monster Tornado Hits Joplin Missouri

Started by sixdogsmom, May 22, 2011, 06:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

A monster tornado has gone through Joplin with extensive damage and unknown fatalities. St. Johns regional medical center  was heavily damaged and is currently  being evacuated because they are expecting an explosion from chemical leaks. The weather channel is showing some coverage. Just awful!  :'(
Edie

kshillbillys

It's absolutely horrible! We've been watching it since it happened. Those poor people! Prayers going up for all of them!
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Wilma

Does anyone know if Carthage, MO was involved in any way?  Or Golden City?

Patriot

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

flintauqua

Wilma,

From what I've seen and read so far, the tornadic cell went nearly straight west to east between 20th and 26th streets, right through the hospital, the high school and the big box retail area on Rangeline.  Then going on east crossing I-44 near the new cloverleaf at US 71 from the south and the new eastern bypass going north.  The NWS storm reports then have it moving on east/southeast towards Pierce City.

Charlie
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Wilma

Thanks, I think that lets Carthage out except for the shock of it being so close.  Janet hadn't been able to get hold of my granddaughter at Golden City when she called me and I haven't heard anything else from her.  This helps ease my concern.

sixdogsmom

I just saw a photo on FB of the Joplin Walmart, it's gone!
Edie

flintauqua

Reports I've read say there are 'hundreds' trapped in the Walmart, Lowes. and Home Depot.  That a brand new Walgreens at 20th and Rangeline is gone, and from a reporter for the Globe newspaper that the High School has received 'catastrophic' damage.

Also, there has been extensive damage south of Grove and into Grove proper, and also across McDonald County, MO from Southwest City to Anderson.  Pray for our former neighbors, friends, forum members, etc. that live in these areas, and for everyone in general that have been affected by these storms.

Got to go, Travis Meyer (Tulsa 6) just said I've got a tornado on the ground just 10-15 miles SSW of me.

Be safe.

Charlie
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

kshillbillys

picture i was sent on Facebook of Joplin Walmart
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Ms Bear

My daughter just talked to the neighbor of a family member at Grove and they are okay.  Praying for all there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk