Let Loose the Dogs Of War

Started by Warph, May 17, 2011, 12:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

This Saturday, May 21st is a special day for all of us who have served in any of the branches of the U.S. military.  Saturday is Armed Forces Day.  It's a day we all should observe and remember.

http://www.defense.gov/afd/index.html

The first Armed Forces Day was celebrated on May 20, 1950, just a month before the Korean War started.  The new holiday was established the previous year.  Prior to that, each of our military services had its own special day.  But when the various branches were all organized under a single department...the Department of Defense.. the country seemed ready to recognize the totality of the individual forces and their combined dedication and sacrifice.

So it began.  And almost immediately, we were in a war.  The war was with North Korea, determined to take over South Korea.  When things didn't go well for them, China was quick to enter the conflict, and a war that would last a full three years began in force.

Every man or woman who serves or has served has stories to tell...stories that reflect their pride in what they have done and the gratitude they (we) all somehow felt for the opportunity to be there.

So please join all of us who are still here... young or old alike.  Honor the Armed Forces we so gratefully served.  Extend to anyone you know who serves now your appreciation and gratitude.  It is an occasion to bring us all to recognizing the price so many pay to keep this country free.

Feel free to put your articles and video's on this thread celebrating Armed Forces Day.

United States Air Force:

F-16's at work:

The Warrior's Song (to my brother, Lt.Col. Steve Warph):

Gen. George Patton, 2007:

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk