Cedar Vale, a County Seat?

Started by W. Gray, June 12, 2011, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

There were a number of schemes created for Howard County before the legislature settled on dividing it into Elk and Chautauqua.

From the Winfield Courier [which started business in Elk Falls as the Elk Falls Examiner in 1871],
December 19, 1874

CAN'T SEE IT.

We have private advices from Howard and the east line of our county that there is a scheme on foot to divide Howard County by taking a "chunk" out of her southwest corner, and another out of Cowley's southeast corner; out of which to form a new county, with Cedar Vale for the county seat. We care but little how much Howard County may divide herself, but we seriously object to giving one foot of Cowley County soil away, for any purpose whatever. If Howard or any part thereof wishes to attach herself to Cowley, we think she ought to be allowed so to do. We like large counties. They can be run cheaper. And for that reason, under the circumstances, we would not object even to a slice from Sumner County on our west. But as for giving any away, such foolishness can't be played on us.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Below are some notes I took in 2005 related to the division of Howard County

Most Howard County division supporters were only looking to divide their county, but there were other interests hoping to get a piece of the action. Several proposals were being worked to take advantage of pockets of unhappy citizens in Howard County and the surrounding areas.

On the southeast side, the town of Jayhawk [a forerunner to Niotaze] began working to get part of Montgomery County added to part of southeast Howard so that town might have a chance to become the county seat of a new county.

Interests in Fall River in Wilson County wanted part of northeastern Howard attached to their county.

Elk City interests in Montgomery County began working diligently to get part of eastern Howard sliced off and attached to part of western Montgomery for a new county. The Elk City newspaper boasted the town had 800 inhabitants in 1875 [probably no where near that many] and the they wanted a county seat.

Another scheme involved taking a ten-mile north to south area across southern Cowley County and mating it to an area in southwest Howard County to make yet another new county with Cedar Vale as the county seat.

None of these proposals would prove to have enough steam to make much headway.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

readyaimduck

1.   Fall River is not in Wilson County.  That would be the ####other Fall River. (not of the town proper) please don't confuse the two.
2. None of these proposals would prove to have enough steam to make much headway.

Because we are a proud people, and promises do not make a
town.  Acticions do, by the founders as well as their ethics.   Not out of town consultants. 
ready, I think.

W. Gray

Those were notes I took in 2005 and Fall River, the town, wanted a piece of the action as a county seat with a new county created from areas in Greenwood, Howard, and Wilson County. Did not get that across.

There was a feeding frenzy for new counties from some local areas because of the problems in Howard County. Fall River, the town in Greenwood County, wanted to be part of it.

readyaimduck

Thanks Mr. Gray for clearning that up.  I forgot the year was 1871 when this happened.
I have a stick in my craw about a "Fall River" that is NOT part of this town, IN Wislon County!

W. Gray

1871 has nothing to do with any Howard County division feeding frenzy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk