Hummingbirds and others

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2011, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

There has been two Bluejays working over my sunflower feeders today, scaring the smaller birds away.  >:(
Edie

Teresa

I had some old cinnamon rolls that I had in the freezer too long.. I set them on the counter to dry for the birds. I ended up using them to try to throw at and blast the bluejays.. didn't hit one..but it wasn't for lack of trying.. LOL..
Danged old things just flew back and ate what ws supposed to have knocked their mean little beaks off.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Has anyone else noticed that the house finches are still red and the gold finches are sporting a dull yellow coat?  In the past they have lost all their summer color.  I wonder what it might mean about our coming winter weather.

jarhead

I am sick of birds !!!! If y'all had spent the last 10 days sitting in a deer stand watching the birds eat the corn that was SUPPOSED to draw the deer in you would hate them too. I didn't even know there were as many Cardinals and Blue Jays in the state as what I fed---and that aint counting all the African - American pheasants (also known as crows) that were there. At least the 913 armadillos I saw didn't eat my corn. Next year I'm building a still and using that corn to make "shine" and trade it for deer steaks !!!

Judy Harder

I am watching a bunch of birds taking a bath!!!! yes, I said bath in the dogs water dish.
Last few days I have made them (dogs) stay out (both of them think they need MY company. after all I might! be eating)
and since I refilled it yesterday. They make me cold, but I swear I also saw some courting birds this past week.

Not only are people confused about this winter, think the small ones are too.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

I have seen some courting birds.  Either that or a father is tenderly feeding one of his offspring.  The colors on the finches are brighter than usual for this time of year.  Yes, I think some of our smaller inhabitants are a bit mixed up as to the season.  Some birds bathe almost daily in my bird bath.  It has to be awfully cold to keep them out of it.

Warph

A hand fed Hummingbird video that is amazing. Taming the Alaskan hummingbird. These hummingbirds were filmed at our lodge in Alaska, no feeder required! Our lodge in Alaska has TONS of these little birds in the summer. Did you know their hearbeat can be as high as 1200 beats ber minute! Mother nature is amazing!

These adorable hummingbirds eat right out of our hands here at the lodge. While setting up the cameras for some more handfeeding, these two little hummingbirds gave us "the shot". Though I love the hummingbirds in Alaska, The majority only arrive after migrating from Mexico, looking for feeders along the way. Sometimes I wish we lived somewhere where we could watch baby hummingbirds in their nests. Some of those videos are amazing!

(From a Comment: Beautiful video, but please eliminate the red food color from the sugar nectar. Hummers' digestive systems cannot digest the dye and it will give them diarrhea. If they eat too much it will eventually kill them. They don't need the red food color to find the nectar, they explore everything and can easily find nectar in any type of container. Thank you for the upload.)

NOTE: We don't use red dye anymore. We use 4:1 Water to sugar only.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Judy Harder

Has anyone seen a scout, yet?
As warm as it is I am thinking of putting a feeder out.....maybe after the rain this week.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Had a scout this morning. Hummingbirds are coming back, get your feeders loaded.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

We cleaned out all our bird houses across the weekend, so we are ready for them to arrive.The hummer feeders are ready too. Last year they all came the last week in April. The wren first, then the catbird pair and then the hummer.  Since we have had such mild weather they might be early this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk