Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally

Started by Patriot, April 29, 2011, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

You are confusing clotted cream which the British consider a delicacy with plain old skim clabbered milk.  There is no cream in clabbered milk.  It is not basically sour cream.  There is no cream in it.  You do know the difference between milk and cream, don't you?  And my grandmother did make cheese that had to be pressed and cured.  I don't know how she did it, but I would bet that she didn't have any fancy store bought stuff to put in it.  I can remember the cheese being pressed in the cellar.  My mother made cottage cheese.  There is a big difference.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on April 30, 2011, 08:17:26 PM
You are confusing clotted cream which the British consider a delicacy with plain old skim clabbered milk.  There is no cream in clabbered milk.  It is not basically sour cream.  There is no cream in it.  You do know the difference between milk and cream, don't you?  And my grandmother did make cheese that had to be pressed and cured.  I don't know how she did it, but I would bet that she didn't have any fancy store bought stuff to put in it.  I can remember the cheese being pressed in the cellar.  My mother made cottage cheese.  There is a big difference.
Then she could not make that cheese without rennet.  Theres nothing fancy about store bought, it requires bacteria cultures to make cheeses.   IF she pressed it it is most likely farmhouse cheddar and she had to use a mesothelic bacteria culture to make it.  Most likely it was a live culture someone gave her and she kept it alive in a fridge or springhouse
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Steve,"farmer cheese" doesn't need rennet, just whole milk, a bit of lemon juice, some gentle heat and drainage .It's very fresh and mild.  Yes, true cottage cheese does use rennet and is a few steps more complicated to make.Good whole Jersey milk makes it really good.

Diane Amberg

Ross, how did you happen to choose Delaware chicks? Yes, they were developed here. We have a huge poultry industry down state. I can just see a few people rolling their eyes and saying,OH NO! Not Delaware again! We are a big deal for being such a little tiny place. ;D ;D ;D ;D   

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 01, 2011, 09:51:27 AM
Steve,"farmer cheese" doesn't need rennet, just whole milk, a bit of lemon juice, some gentle heat and drainage .It's very fresh and mild.  Yes, true cottage cheese does use rennet and is a few steps more complicated to make.Good whole Jersey milk makes it really good.
Diane, Cottage cheese uses no rennet. ONLY THE LARGE CURD LOW ACID cottage cheese does.  The rennet is to get the acid lower.    And Farmer cheese that your talking about is nothing more than cottage cheese that has been hoop pressed. It is also called queso blanco. Shrug. Farmer cheddar is not a real cheddar but it does use rennet and mesothilic starter.   Uhmm When it is a soft cheese, it is usually rennet free, relys on milk bacteria from raw milk to start the fermentation process.  unless its raw it won't ferment it will rot or you have to add a bacteria starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_cheese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_cheese
This is farmers cheese and it does use mesothilic starter bacteria and rennet. 

my recipe for farmer cheese is
3 gallons milk raw with as much cream as you can get
Warm to 86 deg
1/4 cup live starter  stired in in a up down motion for 1 min.
increase heat by 1 deg every 3 min til you reach 91 deg
add 1tsp liquid rennet  stir in a up down motion for 1 min
heat at 1 deg every 5 min til you reach 100 degrees
cut the curd into 1/2" cubes
stir curd lightly to break apart
cook for 30 min at 100 deg
pull curds from whey and put in cheese cloth and drain for 15 min
stir 5 tbsp salt into  curds and mix well
put cheese cloth into press and put curds in the press and cover and press at 10 lbs 30 min, 20 lbs 1 hour and 50 lbs for 24 hours.
pull from press wax and refridgerate at 50 deg for 1 year.

Uhmmm i  also mix herbs into my cheese to give different flavors
I take the whey and cookit further and make ricotta cheese from it.  and then feed the rest of the whey to the chickens or bake with it.

Diane Amberg

Here is my very easy, very simple farmer cheese recipe. I used to make this years ago, and played with it by adding spices and/or garlic to the milk, but I haven't made it in years...had to dig out my old recipe box to find it.

Very gently bring one gallon whole milk to a small bubble boil. Take off heat and stir in the strained juice of one large lemon, a scant 1/4 cup I think. Stir gently until it it curdles. Pour into a cheese cloth lined sieve. Let drain.Then gather up the cheese cloth and squeeze out the liquid. Wrap the ball of cheese in Saran Wrap and refrigerate. Some people like a little salt in the milk. I like it without.  I was always disappointed how little cheese you get from this. I'd use dry milk powder and add the whey back to use on cereal just to get even! That was long ago.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 01, 2011, 01:43:25 PM
Here is my very easy, very simple farmer cheese recipe. I used to make this years ago, and played with it by adding spices and/or garlic to the milk, but I haven't made it in years...had to dig out my old recipe box to find it.

Very gently bring one gallon whole milk to a small bubble boil. Take off heat and stir in the strained juice of one large lemon, a scant 1/4 cup I think. Stir gently until it it curdles. Pour into a cheese cloth lined sieve. Let drain.Then gather up the cheese cloth and squeeze out the liquid. Wrap the ball of cheese in Saran Wrap and refrigerate. Some people like a little salt in the milk. I like it without.  I was always disappointed how little cheese you get from this. I'd use dry milk powder and add the whey back to use on cereal just to get even! That was long ago.
That is the same recipe basically for cottage cheese.  IF its goats milk its callled chevre.

Diane Amberg

But my old cottage cheese recipe calls for 4 drops of liquid rennet and a 5 hour rest before the curds are cut. Then it is reheated again until it separates and is drained.There must be many variations.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 01, 2011, 05:56:29 PM
But my old cottage cheese recipe calls for 4 drops of liquid rennet and a 5 hour rest before the curds are cut. Then it is reheated again until it separates and is drained.There must be many variations.

That is the recipe for large curd low acid cheese.  IF you suffer from gerd or even lactose intolerance, you want that kind of cottage cheese. it uses the rennet instead of the acid to create the curd.    It also gets strong taste fast.  You have to essentially use it within 3 days or so or cook with it.

Judy Harder

How interesting you all are making the cheese recipes. I do not intend to make any. I do enjoy knowing
"How they Do That" Thanks for the ride-along. keep the info coming. beats politics any day. LOL Don't get
me guys, I am joking..............sort of LOL
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk