Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Or maybe you could offer your assistance and ideas of how to improve Elk County to some organization that is doing something instead of just talking about it.

readyaimduck

Quotethen complain to the people that put these grants together.

Wilma:  I do believe someone did ask "Who writes the grants"  and I do believe you stated that it was 'a very capable person'.

I would think that would be nullified to complain to a very capable person.
all-ready-askin

readyaimduck

QuoteElk County is just taking advantage of it and using it for the benefit of Elk County youth.

so, the two go hand n hand?  advantage and Konnections?

readyaimduck

QuoteOr maybe you could offer your assistance and ideas of how to improve Elk County to some organization that is doing something instead of just talking about it

Ok, now here's really radical concept.  Instead of applying for grants, ask one of the groups in Elk County like the churches, the 4-H, the Knights of Columbus (do they still exist?) etc.  and ask them to 'bid' $5-$500 for the youth to pull weed out of the sidewalk cracks uptown, or plant flowers, or paint a mural on a business......which would then go to the youth group programs.

oh, but kids won't work unless they are paid minimum wage?
What happened to our youth and ethics?

It benefits the towns...not just one.  It benefits the youth for a pride in a job for their town..

Just a thought.
ready

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on June 29, 2011, 07:38:37 PM
Ok, now here's really radical concept.  Instead of applying for grants, ask one of the groups in Elk County like the churches, the 4-H, the Knights of Columbus (do they still exist?) etc.  and ask them to 'bid' $5-$500 for the youth to pull weed out of the sidewalk cracks uptown, or plant flowers, or paint a mural on a business......which would then go to the youth group programs.

oh, but kids won't work unless they are paid minimum wage?
What happened to our youth and ethics?
Really if their supposed to be volunteering their not supposed to take any pay.

For YEARS, my boys would go to different areas of the country for a week.  They would VOLUNTEER to help folks around the city. One year they were in Charlotte i think helping re-roof a elderly persons house. some were helping other folks in areas that had needs cutting lawns, weeding, doing the things they couldn't.  AND GUESS WHAT!!!  EACH BOY paid 500 dollars for the PRIVILEGE of VOLUNTEERING!

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Heres another novel idea.   When i first started teaching the boys about doing for others, I would announce boys your volunteering your labor to help someone on Saturday.   They had no choice.  I packed em up and toted them to a fellas house that had 8 kids in a 2 brm trailer. There the boys learned how to build additions to the house.  The lumber and materials were all DONATED and everyone there was VOLUNTEERING (NO PAY) to build the house.  Took us 3 days and it was done.  Afterwards all the children had enough room to put 2 to a room plus mom and dad had their own bedroom. 

The boys asked why they didn't get paid, i told them because you have plenty because God blessed you through me, and they have little, so God blessed them through us. 

readyaimduck

Steve: (mr no vowelsbut 2  ;D)
That is what I am suggesting, and good for them!

I  have to make a 7layer dip for work as snack day is tomorrow. 
catch you all opinioned people later...

al-ready-cooking

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on June 29, 2011, 07:58:37 PM
Steve: (mr no vowelsbut 2  ;D)
That is what I am suggesting, and good for them!

I  have to make a 7layer dip for work as snack day is tomorrow. 
catch you all opinioned people later...

al-ready-cooking

Mmmm love that 7 layer dip!  Expensive!!! to make too

Wilma

As usual, what I said was misquoted.  I said, "Someone is putting these grants together."  I did not say that someone was applying for them.  These grants are put together by the people who grant them.  I imagine that it is a state department and that it was originally done to benefit children that didn't have a chance of going to a day camp.  Mainly children from the poorer levels whose parents do not have the money to pay for a chance to do something other than run the streets all day.

The people who put these grants together and make them available to be applied for are the ones that you need to talk to.  Is that plain enough to understand?

Ross

Quote from: Wilma on June 29, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
Or maybe you could offer your assistance and ideas of how to improve Elk County to some organization that is doing something instead of just talking about it.
If:
Who steers the steering committee?

Who are the admitted members who own, and run,
Elk Konnected.

Who is your Puppet Master?

What are your real goals?

How do you plan to meet your goals?  

And I wouldn't do it for headlines in the paper but for the community. Do you see the difference?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk