Started by Ross, April 24, 2011, 06:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Elk KonnectedSuccess Stories
Elk County provide ideas on how to use wind dollars

Better roads and local tax relief are top suggestions

By Rudy Taylor
PRAIRIE STAR

Twenty-five circles of chairs, all occupied by excited Elk County residents, filled the Moline School gymnasium Tuesday night. The county residents stood in line to get into the meeting because they knew the topic of discussion would have multi-million dollar ramifications.

The meeting was held because Elk County's three commissioners in December 2008 negotiated an agreement with Trade Wind Energy Corp. to receive approximately $1 million per year over the next 20 years as payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT).

A huge 150-200 mega-watt wind generation farm will be constructed, starting later this year, approximately 10 miles west of Howard. Trade Wind Energy has said more than $450 million will be invested in the wind-generation facility and the first payment to the county could come as early as December 2011 or the same month in 2012.

The PILOT payments will be calculated according to $4,500 multiplied by gross megawatt output of the wind farm (150 to 200 megawatts) with a two percent annual increase.

Commissioners Liz Hendricks, Ken Liebau and Doug Ritz then called for public input to determine how those PILOT funds would be spent. That's why the Elk Konnected organization called Tuesday's meeting --- to allow local people to express their own priorities.

They talked within their circles about roads, schools, community centers, youth facilities, incentives for job-producing industries and a big list of other ideas.

Leading the meeting was consultant Terry Woodbury of Public Square Communities. With him were associates Angie Baur and Lance Woodbury.

At the end of the evening, each circle was asked for a spokesperson to serve on an action team to compile the data gathered at the community conversation and report to the Elk County Commissioners by their April 11 meeting, if possible.

While no specific recommendations were determined, Woodbury was able to make several conclusions from the groups which were composed of eight to ten in each circle. The top two suggestions that came forward from a large percentage of those attending were property tax relief and repair/improvements of local roads.

Other ideas submitted by those in attendance included the following:

More affordable drinking water for all residents

Putting the first $1 million in the bank then starting to spend in the second year

School improvements

Fund higher education for local students who will contract to return to Elk County some day

Create more jobs

Assisted living for all towns in the county

Airport improvements

Courthouse improvements

Golf course

Retire all public debt

Safe shelters

Scholarships

Tourism

Local YMCA, YWCA

At the beginning of the meeting, local civic leader Richard Fish said Elk Konnected was organized to pull citizens together to discuss the future of the communities comprising Elk County.

On behalf of Elk Konnected, David Whetstone said, "We feel like we've been afforded an incredible opportunity in this county. The amount of money being offered to us from a wind farm is unprecedented."

Woodbury works with 16 communities in area states, including 37 towns.

"Our dream is to turn rural America around, and make it work again," said Woodbury.
"Every time I come here, I find encouragement," Woodbury said. "Elk County has a great opportunity --- one million dollars per year for twenty years!"

"We have a possibility to take twenty years and do it right, so let's listen to each other, and take the opportunity to do something great."

Baur noted in her comments that positive conversation and big ideas will always move you forward --- and that's what Elk Konnected is all about.

When Elk Konnected was first organized, it took a survey which showed local residents believed their top three strengths were: Strong families, solid educational system, and superior lifestyle in local communities.

Community conversations have been held in Longton, Severy (included in Elk Konnected even though in Greenwood County), Howard and Moline.

The Caney River Project is managed by Trade Wind Energy of Lenexa, Kan., and the project owner is Enel North America, Inc.

More than 15 landowners will share in royalties at the wind farm in Elk County, and they already have begun receiving their checks.

Power produced at the Caney River Project is being sold to the Tennessee Valley Authority, the nation's largest public power company. The power will be delivered to TVA's customers in the southeast United States.

The Caney River project is believed to be one of the most energetic sites of any wind project in the development in eastern Kansas, outside of the designated Heart of the Flint Hills area.

The project will interconnect to the Westar 345 kV transmission line in Elk County.
When completed, the wind farm in Elk County will generate enough power to supply the needs of approximately 60,000 households.

Prairie Star will cooperate with Elk Konnected and the Elk County Commission to print questions and answers about the wind project and PILOT money in future editions.

http://www.publicsquarecommunities.com/community/elk/news.php

Ross

Does anyone know how many people use their exercise room?
I've been told maybe 8 people. If that's true is that a good investment?

I suppose building a YMCA might make sense for a few people.
Where would they build it? How about Grenola or Longton?
Surely not in Howard? Howard already has the exercise room.

Ross

I just got another idea --- buy back the Moline Grade School and re-open it get the kids out of the portable buildings.
That way Howard won't need to ask for another election to build a $5 1/2 million dollar school. No, my kid does not go to grade school.

Diane Amberg

Do you understand why they went with the portables? Many, many discussions preceded that move.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 26, 2011, 03:57:57 PM
Do you understand why they went with the portables? Many, many discussions preceded that move.

Sure, if you look past the smoke. Howard wants a Tajmahal type of campus. And that's why they want to move their city limits out beyound the high school so they can claim it as theirs. Oh, and Howard didn't want to continue busing their children to Moline. Sure the argument about money sounds good, but it awasn't true. The school board has handed out some outrageous pay raises. And the roof on the school was still partly covered by warranty and a bond issue could have been used to repair the other part. The building is a fine looking building inside and out.

Oh yea, FYI the ball games agendas lit the school as Howard West Elk not West Elk. The school Supt. wants the school board to purchase a new marque for West Elk when all it needs is a new piece of plywood on the back and some fresh paint. I can only guess why an expensive new sign, to have it say Howard West Elk. Because I believe the school has maintenance personel that could clean up the present sign just fine.

The school supt. is wanting to spend money like there is no tomorrow. I don't think he realizes that the nation and the state are in a financial crises. Except when it came to closing our for  local schools someone's benefit when he kept saying the state was cutting school budgets. Now it's like there is no financial problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

flintauqua

Just so everyone remembers - out of 87 people that voted last month for the school board seat that Ross ran for, 81 of them voted for someone other than Ross.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Diane Amberg

Did they ever get the gym roof fixed? Last I remember there was a bucket hanging up there on the ceiling to catch the leaks! ;D Your alumni should be taking care of your new marquee if one is needed. That's very common here. By the way, I don't know why your portables aren't satisfactory. I taught in one for 3 years when the district had a surge in population. It was a big room, air conditioned and nice carpet, plenty of wall, board and project space. I liked it fine.

Lookatmeknow!!

More people use the fitness center than 8. I am one that renews my monthly dues. I am not trying to step on anyones toes, but to tell you the truth LOTS of people are out for number one in Elk County. Do you ever think that the people with parents feel that there needs to be more positive things around the county for the younger people? We are raising young adults, not just kids. I don't think that everyone is looking at the big picture of things. As for what Elk Konnect wants to build, those were just ideas that were tossed around, nothing set in stone. Many of the people also want lower taxes and better roads. Why worry yet about what the money is going to be used for, it's like your spending the money before we getting it.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Ross

Quote from: flintauqua on April 26, 2011, 04:33:00 PM
Just so everyone remembers - out of 87 people that voted last month for the school board seat that Ross ran for, 81 of them voted for someone other than Ross.

Just so you know flintauqua I placed a letter in the newspaper asking my friends and neighbors not to vote for me but I did ask them to vote for someone else. I chose to withdraw because I didn't have enough time to study everything that a school board member should know to do their job properly. The more I studied the more I learned that I needed to learn more.  So I shall continue to study. Education of our children is not about how large or how new the school building is. It's also not about how much money you spend or sports. Education takes place in the class room.

You can try all you want to hurt my feelings but it wont work. You have earned my pity for trying, hatefulness is self debaseing and I shall say a prayer for you.

May I ask what part of in Elk County do you live in? North, Eatst, South, West, Central? I'm nothing asking for any thing specific just general. Thanks.

kshillbillys

Great point Ross...If I lived in your district, I would have still voted for you because I think YOU are on the right track! Some people just don't get it! --Jennifer
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk