An open letter to the citizens, voters & taxpayers of Elk County

Started by Patriot, April 19, 2011, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

I just posted this in response on another thread.  Perhaps the concepts and views herein will touch a few more citizens in a fresh thread.

I have absolutely no problem with any private group, church, etc. sponsoring wholesome events/activities for kids (I have 2, btw).  I agree with many and think that kids need good guidance and interaction in such programs.  My problem is with any private group that uses such programs to befriend the public while also advancing a political agenda of the few.  All that glitters isn't gold.  EK is as much a political action group as it it a social action group.  The pattern they have chosen to follow (via Public Square Communities) is a model that looks to government as the glue that holds communities together and sees government/government agencies as the center of community life development.  Perhaps in the Communist China model, but not in the Republic that is supposed to be America.  

When a select few elitists both influence the government and are the government, there is a conflict.  Government should (even at the local level) set about to protect (not provide) the ability of private citizens to enjoy life & pursue individual aspirations.  This should be accomplished through the provision and maintenance of basics like fire protection, law enforcement, infrastructure (roads, bridges, flood protection, etc.).  When government involves itself too deeply in the daily lives of the citizenry, the will of a few can begin to erode the liberties of the many.  History shows that the result is tyranny. Government is neither our parent nor our nanny nor our role model.  

While EK may do many good things in the community, it has no business being in bed with government.  While EK may offer citizens in different communities the opportunity to improve their respective communities through private endeavor, it has no business influencing government power to accomplish its' purposes.  Especially when its' ownership/directorship is held by elected government officials.  For example, use of proceeds to the government (voters & taxpayers) from a wind farm (if any) should not be influenced by a private company that is subject to no voter/taxpayer oversight.  We elected officials to make those decisions on our behalf.  If they are, as one commissioner said publicly, "unwilling to have open hearings because they don't want to listen to the public bellyaching" then perhaps the commissioners are undeserving of the trust we've placed tn them.  If elected/appointed officials prefer to enlist, endorse, and even control (by taking offices/directorships/coordinator positions in) the efforts of a private group instead of directly engaging the citizens who elected them, then perhaps they don't have the strength of character necessary to do what they (not their private associations) were elected to do.  If one wants their lives to be directed by some committee then there are opportunities galore in China.  Either our elected officials desire to carry out their duties in ways that honestly reflect the republic in which we live, or they are free to resign their positions and pursue change in the private sector.

I'm sure many, like yourself, defend ElkKonnected, because EK has some good intentions.  Just remember, the road to hell is said to be paved with good intentions.  Even Hitler started with the good intentions of restoring Germany's devastated economy.  But when the good intentions of a few elitists become entangled with the power of government position and/or excessive influence over government power, the liberty of the citizens can quickly become endangered.  We look to limit government, not expand its' influence through close association with privileged & unaccountable private groups.  Let EK focus its' efforts on private activities that improve communities, and let government do its' job of being accountable to the citizens it is elected to represent.  Let EK procure it's own callback service and leave the government service to the official purposes of government.  

Let the citizens hold the reasonable expectation of our elected officials to make wise & unbiased decisions on behalf of the electorate.  Let our elected officials choose between representing the interests of all the voters or managing and advancing the goals of a private company, but not both.  And let ElkKonnected and our county government  remain completely severed and separate forever!

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Sarge

That statement reflects the foundation of individual freedom.  Every level of government should adhere to that basic principle.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

Ross

Very well put Patriot.
Who is Elk Konnected?   
Why won't they publish their membership list?
Who is their President, their secretary, their treasurer?
They say they don't use taxpayers dollars but the truuth is the scholarship grant they recieved from the Kansas Department of Commerce is exactly that taxpayers dollaes.
And as far as I can tell they have only had less that 10% of the residents of Elk County attend their so called community meetings so how can they even be considered to represent the community?

Diane Amberg

Actually, a 10% turnout in most communities, for anything, would be a huge success.  Do you go ?

Lookatmeknow!!

Ross, got to ask you this- do you attend? Do you have children that benefit from this? Just wondering. I do see Patriots point about using the tax dollars to benefit the group. But are you 100% sure that the scholarship was tax money?? Have you ever received a grant of any sort??? That is just like tax money received. That is money from the government that you don't have to pay back??? Just wondering. I see what Patriot was saying about having commissioners in Elk Konnect, but If they don't vote to benefit one or the other than I see no problem with it. As with most organizations in the area, there are only a select few people that attend and get involved in them. I don't actually go to the meetings, but I am sure if they called and asked me to help in anyway they know if I can I will. I learned this about groups really fast, you know the people that will help and do things and you have those that sit back and complain about how things are ran. If you don't like something get involved in it. Help out however you can, don't just be the ones to complain all the time about everything. I understand that everyone is upset about different issues and all. I get that. Government, even our local one, is struggling to survive. But I for one can't nor choose to sit and complain about it all the time. It does no good. It only makes me worry and upset and frankly I don't have time for either of those!! Life is what you make out of it, I feel that when it comes to government, I vote. I don't like how it's run or things that are done, but if I sit and worry about it all I am doing is causing myself grief and it's just not worth it. Not that the USA isn't worth it, its just I tend to worry more about our men and women that are protecting our freedoms everyday!! They are the ones that are getting the shaft in all of this mess!!! They deserve the highest respect and honor that anyone on this earth deserves!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Sarge

Quote from: Patriot on April 19, 2011, 09:39:12 AM

.  Government should (even at the local level) set about to protect (not provide) the ability of private citizens to enjoy life & pursue individual aspirations.  

In my post above, I forgot to quote the statement in Patriot's post that I was referring to.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

Diane Amberg

Don't you think that if the State of Kansas thought the grant EK got was not appropriate they would have denied the grant application? Also, the whole business about conflict of interest is different when one holds an unpaid position.

redcliffsw

Appropriate???  Shall grants be given to the monarchy's favorites.  Thought we handled that matter in 1776.

Governemt should not be granting money to any company, organization, or people.  Fair enough?????

jerry wagner

Quote from: redcliffsw on April 20, 2011, 10:28:39 AM

Appropriate???  Shall grants be given to the monarchy's favorites.  Thought we handled that matter in 1776.

Governemt should not be granting money to any company, organization, or people.  Fair enough?????

NO

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 20, 2011, 09:32:20 AM
Don't you think that if the State of Kansas thought the grant EK got was not appropriate they would have denied the grant application? Also, the whole business about conflict of interest is different when one holds an unpaid position.

No I don't think the Kansas State Department of Commerce would really pay much attention. Have you ever worked for any government and seen the carelessness that goes on? Where do you think the state get's it's money? Simple --- taxes.

There is no difference in paid or unpaid as far as conflit of interest, it's all about the job. Are there no ethics in this world any longer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk