Emergency notification... not just for emergencies anymore

Started by Patriot, April 18, 2011, 11:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: flintauqua on April 19, 2011, 03:27:32 PM
Would you be as vehemently opposed to Elk Konnected if they had organized as a county-wide 'Chamber of Commerce' or 'Economic Development Corporation', which given the lack of either in Elk County, Elk Konnected is acting the role of?

Mr. Durbin,

The pretext of your question misses my point.  I'm not opposed to Elk Konnected based on its' organizational form.  I'm not opposed to it because of its' stated mission(s) and purposes.  I'm not opposed to Elk Konnected just for the sake of Elk Konnected. 

I'm opposed to the conflicts of interest created  when elected government officials and taxpayer funded county employees with influence or direction over the use or application of county resources (monies or other taxpayer funded resources like websites) are also directly involved in the operation, advancement, management or direction of that same private organization.  I'm opposed to the use of county resources for the private purposes or agenda advancement of that same private organization.  Sometime you might peruse the Elk County employee handbook which clearly defines conflict of interest on the part of elected officials/employees AND their spouses. 

Public service comes with a price.  That price isn't about graft, resume or ego or wealth building, or power and influence or anything that conflicts with totally unbiased and uninfluenced service to the voters and taxpayers.  That price sometimes means restricted personal freedoms to protect the public interest.  I view humility in public service as a virtue.

Further, there have been county development corporations here (defunct, but still on record with the Secretary of State).  If county employees/elected officials formally worked for or ran them and those companies acted to influence county resources, I would be just as opposed.  This is about things we used to call ethics and standards of conduct.

Patriot

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

sodbuster

I did a search of Kansas law regarding duties of a County Commissioner and more importantly conflicts of interest. In this case being on Elk Konnected and being a county commissioner. There is no problem being both a county commissioner and on the board of a not for profit limited liability corporation, if the person recuses themself from voting on issues that benefit the LLc. I am not a lawyer or have I ever played one on TV.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk