Residence Street, Howard, Ks

Started by W. Gray, April 10, 2011, 10:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I wasn't going to say anything as I felt I owed you that one for your April Fools posting about the accident South of Howard. Ruth did have a brother named Roy Rogers, I rented a small horse pasture from him on the West side of Howard, a really nice guy.

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

In September of 1947 Fred and I rented the two upstairs rooms in the house just east of the Barber residence.  That house was owned by Dallas and Audry Roberts.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

Speaking of tearing down houses...

When I was in Elk County for Johnnie Miller's funeral, I was driving along K-99 on the segment in Howard and noticed that someone had made a large excavation next to a ramshackle house located on the east side.

My first thought was that someone was going to pour footings for the basement of new home but noted that one edge of that excavation was extremely close to the old house. My thoughts were that would never work.

The next day I drove by and the the house was gone. The excavation was filled to the brim with debris. The hole was so full it did not look like it could be covered with dirt. It was still uncovered when we left. I don't know much about burying science but maybe they intend to let the contents settle or maybe they can allowed to burn the contents as much as possible and then fill in.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk