What Is Camp Number Six?

Started by sixdogsmom, April 09, 2011, 12:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Awhile ago, I was reviewing the radar on the weather map as shown above, and noticed the map is marked with notation of Camp Number Six located east of Independence Kansas. I cannot find any reference to this anywhere except in my own memory about a fema type camp being built east of Independence Kansas. WTF? 'Scuse me, but this has me just a LEETLE bit concerned! Anybody?  :o :o
Edie

flintauqua

How far east of Indy?  Within Montgomery County or farther east?  The only Camp Six I find is east of Parsons near West Mineral in Crawford County and is a historical mining camp.  

Where ever it is, it's most likely historical and not modern day, similar to Cave Springs still showing up on the weather radar maps about halfway between Howard and Fall River.  Hasn't been much, if anything, there since before 1900.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

sixdogsmom

Charlie, pull up the weather channel map for 67353 from the link provided above;  Camp number six shows it is east and north of Indy, south of Parsons, and west of the possible mining camp you mentioned. To see the current radar map, click on the temperature in the upper right corner of your screen, and make certain that the are concerns 67353 (Moline), or (67349) for Howard. I have never seen this particular reference before! ???  :o :o
Edie

flintauqua

Edie, I think we're both spotting the same place, just it's labled different on the maps we're looking at.  On KAKE's interactive weather radar, Camp Number Six pops up at one particular zoom level and is assocoated with a dot near West Mineral.  On the map you are looking at, the spot just above the 'C' in Camp is actually the small town of Dennis.  Camp Number Six is associated with the dot just to the right of the label, between McCune and East Mineral.  Confusing, yes;  but IMO same spot, different lableling. 
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Roma Jean Turner

There was definitely something on here about a fema camp.  I read it but can't remember the name of the thread.  A woman was talking about her husband getting an order to go install, I believe, some phone lines in a very rural location.  There was nothing on the service order about who owned this.  Anyway, the thread is on here if we can find it.  I clicked on the above map and see it.  I did a mapquest search for West Mineral and McCune, then did the nearby search and found  Rural Water District#6, 24072 Xavier Rd, McCune, KS 66753.  The map shows that one can turn on to Xavier Road off of 400.  Don't know if any of this is related.  When I get moved down there Edie, we may need to do a road trip.

ddurbin

The thread you're looking for is in the Coffee Shop, started Dec. 8, 2009 by Sarah, and is titled "Camp over by Independence"

sixdogsmom

Roma, aren't horizontal stripes a little broadening?  :-\ Yes, I remember when Sarah posted about the fema camp. I wonder too if this is a weather camp? There is one south of ElDorado on Haverhill road, I think. I wonder what they call it?
Edie

Dee Gee

In searching the web I found this:

Cherokee Camp Number Six is located in the state of Kansas (county of Cherokee, KS) at GPS coordinates: 37.3097797, -94.9424637 (also known as latitude and longitude or lat-lon coordinates). Cherokee Camp Number Six is positioned in the center of the above map, where the elevation is 882 feet (269 meters) above sea level.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

twirldoggy

What would be the function and purpose of a weather camp?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk