Dogs

Started by Wilma, April 09, 2011, 12:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Don't stop me if you have heard this one before because I want to tell it again.

I used to be an Avon Lady.  One day when I called on one of my favorite customers, there was a beautiful red setter running with the neighborhood dogs.  My customer told me the dog had been there for a couple of weeks and didn't belong to anyone and no one claimed her.  I didn't take her home with me, but I did tell my husband about her.  He immediately went looking for the beautiful dog.  Ascertaining that indeed she didn't belong to anyone and no one wanted her, he brought her home.  Perhaps the reason she wasn't wanted was that she was pregnant.

After having the pups, we had her spayed and because of the leash law in Severy at the time, kept her tied south of our house.  Now each day a gentleman who lived a couple of blocks east of us would come to our corner and turn north to leave Severy to go to his farm at Piedmont.  Each morning he would see this beautiful red dog.  One day he asked about her and finding that he wanted to take her to his farm we let her go. 

Second Act:  This gentleman had children in Wichita that liked to come out to the farm, so, of course, they met the dog.  By the way, we called her Ginger.  These adult children were in business in Wichita and at their business they had a fenced yard.  They decided that they wanted to take Ginger back to Wichita with them.   She could live at their place of business and have a fenced yard to run in.  So it was.  Ginger never made it to the place of business.  She was so well behaved, they kept her at their home.  We heard later that even though Ginger wasn't considered a house dog, they allowed her in because she wouldn't go any further than the edge of the carpet.  She would lie on the tiled floor just inside the entry until she was ready to go back outside.  No amount of coaxing could get her to cross the carpet.

I will always be glad that we rescued Ginger.

Roma Jean Turner

What a great story Wilma, I don't think I had heard it before.

Janet Harrington

She was a beautiful dog. We really loved her, but I guess I didn't pay any attention as to how we got her or what happened to her. Good memory, Mother.

Oldrider0808

Once upon a time, many moons ago, Janet rescued a black and white male dog who had been abandoned in a yard in Longton without food for several days.  She found out that my husband and I had just lost a dog due to an accident, so she told us this dog would probably be available.  We did get the dog and named him "Digger" (another story) and he was with us for many years until last January when we had to put him to sleep because he had cancer.  Now I know that Janet comes by her "rescue" nature genetically. :)
She never stirred the stars from their courses.  But she loved a good man, and she rode good horses.

(Forgot the name of the author, just always liked the quote)

Janet Harrington

I totally remember that story, Oldrider. Apparently that dog found an excellent home. Lucky dog. Lucky sheriff to have such good citizens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk