Medicare to pay for $93,000 prostate cancer drug

Started by Ross, March 31, 2011, 01:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Medicare to pay for $93,000 prostate cancer drug
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:12 pm PDT
AP - Medicare officials said Wednesday that the program will pay the $93,000 cost of prostate cancer drug Provenge, an innovative therapy that typically gives men suffering from an incurable stage of the disease an extra four months to live.

http://news.yahoo.com/s//ap/20110331/ap_on_he_me/us_prostate_cancer_drug_medicare

thatsMRSc2u

I don't give a shit HOW much it costs...if it battles cancer GOOD!

mtcookson

If they are going to die and they want an extra four months, they can pay for it themselves. I don't want to pay for it. Sounds harsh but too bad.

evanstrail

Don't fall over when it dawns on you that what you propose would be "RATIONING OF CARE"!!!!!!

Varmit

Quote from: mtcookson on March 31, 2011, 03:03:12 PM
If they are going to die and they want an extra four months, they can pay for it themselves. I don't want to pay for it. Sounds harsh but too bad.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for me...I was wondering what the cost of a human life was.

I gotta tell ya, I find it confusing that the "conservative" bunch in this country, will rant about God, guns, and strong family morals, while spending billions to kill millions of people, yet barely lift a finger, let alone a dime, to save people.  Confusing really.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

mtcookson

Quote from: evanstrail on March 31, 2011, 03:05:05 PMDon't fall over when it dawns on you that what you propose would be "RATIONING OF CARE"!!!!!!

Considering the government isn't even allowed to do this what I propose is nowhere close to being rationing of care. What I propose is called; Taking care of yourself.

Sure, there are situations where a person can't afford the help and that's where donations from helpful citizens comes into play. Donations could do so much more good than the government EVER could. They just simply steal our money and unconstitutionally distribute it to others. The government will do it as poorly managed and as inefficient as possible because that's how government runs.

Did you know a nurse working with a Medicare/Medicaid patient can spend about 15 minutes with a patient and then is required by Medicare/Medicaid to do charting of that short visit that can take up to an hour or more? When it comes to Medicare/Medicaid more time is spent writing up required paperwork about the patient and visit than is actually spent with the patient. Inefficient and not very cost effective. Instead of doing pointless paperwork they could be helping others but no, that's the government for you.

Quote from: Varmit on March 31, 2011, 09:51:37 PM
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me...I was wondering what the cost of a human life was.

I gotta tell ya, I find it confusing that the "conservative" bunch in this country, will rant about God, guns, and strong family morals, while spending billions to kill millions of people, yet barely lift a finger, let alone a dime, to save people.  Confusing really.

If I want to help someone I would be more than happy to do it myself, on my terms. If I had a friend or family member I would most definitely help in any way I can and I've even donated money to help the needy that I don't know. I do NOT need the government taking my money and giving it to someone, I can donate my money myself just fine and it will probably be put to better use anyway.

You should see some of the people they allow to be put into Medicare/Medicaid. There are some that won't even follow SIMPLE instructions to take care of themselves, their houses are beyond dirty and crawling with bugs, they have money to buy new TV's and cigarettes and junk food yet go to Medicare because they "can't afford" their medication and likely will end up not even taking their medication, some even going as far as selling some of their meds. Give me a break, I am NOT paying for someone like that to live longer. If they want help to live longer they need to clean up their act, clean themselves up, and do what they're supposed to do to stay healthy before I would consider helping. I don't particularly want to help someone that won't help themselves.

(edit: forgot to say Medicare and Medicaid. fixed now.)

greatguns

No one gets put into medicare until they reach 65 years of age.  Do your homework.

mtcookson

And?

Oh yeah, and people under 65 can actually qualify for Medicare and Medicaid doesn't have that age limit.

Edit: I see why you're trying to get at now. That last part was supposed to say Medicare/Medicaid. Fixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk