Residents Discuss Issues Online

Started by genealogynut, November 12, 2006, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

The following article appears in the Independence Reporter on November 12, 2006

DODGE CITY-  Getting the lastest community scuttlebutt at the coffee shop is so last century.

Hundreds of southwest Kansas residents now turn on their computers and go to a year-old computer bulletin board to get news and give their opinions on the issues of the day.

"It's a forum where people in the community can exchange ideas," said Walter Hernreck, who regularly click onto http://www.dodgeboard.com  "Really we call it an experiment in democracy."

Topics can range from national politics to what members just heard on the police scanner.

"Its a really good way to keep up with what's going on right in Dodge City," said Terry Adams, a computer technician who uses the site.

Dodgeboard.com was started a years ago as a nonprofit site operated by members.  It now has 270 registered users, which doesn't include the numerous "lurkers" who read the content but don't participate.

(I don't think I'd better put my comment on here)

Janet Harrington

Well, I think our board is just as good and easier to use.  Wonder why we can't get any PR for our board.

Did you send that news article to the paper?  Maybe we need to send it to the Independence Reporter?

Wilma

They have only 270 registered users?  What's wrong with them?  Our little, bitty county has 159 and is barely known.  Wonder if my sister is aware of theirs.

Wilma

I just checked out the dodgeboard.com.  Looks interesting.  They have police news.

genealogynut

I just seen that in today's Independence paper and thought it would be something interesting to put on this forum.  Where the Indy paper got the news article--I do not know.  I think the Howard Forum has something good going.  Dodge City doesn't have anything on us.  Naturally, they have more members, as the population is much higher in that town.

I am in hopes the news article about the Howard Forum will be in this next issue of Good News.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk