Visit to Elk County

Started by W. Gray, March 28, 2011, 07:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The street light pole installers in Howard disappeared as fast as they arrived. Not all poles were replaced and there seemed to be a willy nilly replacement. However, they may be replacing those that need to be replaced the most. I believe there were some safety factors involved with some of them.

The Family Market complex has extended into what was once Waldo's Barbershop. The old barbershop had a room behind the barber chair area that held storage and a restroom. Behind that was a parking area. All of that area was included in the store extending from the street entrance back to the alley. It sure added a lot of extra space. The soda fountain and ice cream cone area is now in the old barber shop. There is also a lot of new frozen food area and buggies can pass in the wide aisles. It looks great.

I met several forum people including Jo McDonald, Sheriff Janet, Frank and Myrna, patyrn, and some others.

I was able to catch the library open on one day and enjoyed a short time looking around. One of these days I will catch the Moline library open.

My mother's house has a new roof and new guttering courtesy of the recent hail storm.

And, of course, we attended Johnnie Miller's (my mother's brother) funeral at Countryside-Zimmerman funeral home, which was very well done. Robin Haines did an excellent job and the video presentation of the high points of Johnnie's life was also excellent. We were also glad the American Legion was at the cemetery to say good bye to Johnnie with a 21-gun salute. 

Finally, I was able to get the lowdown on what happened with the K-99 closure but will not be able to post it for several more days. Sensational, to say the least.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

Glad I got to meet you in Howard last week!  Hope you had a good trip back home.

We will look forward to hearing the details you found out about the mysterious truck cargo in Elk County!!!!

Janet Harrington

Johnnie Miller's funeral was very well done. John Jr., did an excellent job on the videos. I am really glad I attended to say goodbye to my Jim's brother-in-law's brother.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk