Fishes of Chautauqua, Cowley and Elk Counties Kansas - 1959

Started by evanstrail, March 08, 2011, 08:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evanstrail

Came across this while researching something completely different:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34523/34523-h/34523-h.htm

Maybe this belongs in Good Old Days, but fishing stories are often told in cafes and coffee shops so . . .

W. Gray

I wonder if the parrot minnow mentioned as taken in Rock Creek (Big Caney tributary) could talk?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

W. Gray

Well, we could never positively determine where the Elk River began, but now, because of this book, we know it is (or at least was) full of Notropis boops.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Quote from: W. Gray on March 08, 2011, 08:36:07 PM
I wonder if the parrot minnow mentioned as taken in Rock Creek (Big Caney tributary) could talk?
Waldo, I bet your Uncle fished for them and used crackers for bait.

W. Gray

frawin

Quote from: W. Gray on March 08, 2011, 08:56:45 PM
You and Wilma are both cards.
Wilma and me? I think it was someone else that wondered if the Parrott Fish could talk.

W. Gray

Hey, I was just trying to carry on an intelligent conversation.

There are some fish that walk across the street, you know.

Ole Granny

While reading, I could almost taste the yellow bullhead.  It has been too long...  Thanks
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

W. Gray

Some additional information in the book:

Elk River drops an average 14.4 feet per mile.

Annual precipitation in Elk County is 35.1 inches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk