If these numbers are even 1/2 correct...

Started by Patriot, March 03, 2011, 01:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Red, there are Phillips stations here that have 10% Ethanol and some that have no Ethanol. Actually I think  Conoco-Phillips sold all of their stations nationwide, about a year or two ago. Quik-Trip stations have Ethanol, 10% I think, in fact I think about all of the various marketing companies have Ethanol in their Gas. I use the 10% Ethanol in my Vehicles, I buy the Ethanol Free gas for my lawn equipment. I have never had a problem with the Ethanol and I don't know anyone that has.

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on March 08, 2011, 12:40:03 PM
Red, there are Phillips stations here that have 10% Ethanol and some that have no Ethanol. Actually I think  Conoco-Phillips sold all of their stations nationwide, about a year or two ago. Quik-Trip stations have Ethanol, 10% I think, in fact I think about all of the various marketing companies have Ethanol in their Gas. I use the 10% Ethanol in my Vehicles, I buy the Ethanol Free gas for my lawn equipment. I have never had a problem with the Ethanol and I don't know anyone that has.

Frank, I've had to rebuild the injectors in my tbi pickup over 10% ethanol.  It eats the seals in them. It also eats up the injection system tubing in the vortec engines thats located under the intake manifold.  It consists of a hard plastic distribution point and tubing that goes to each individual injector. IF one tube is broken or eaten though you have to replace the whole thing to the tune of 350 -500 dollars.   It causes a host of problems in vehicles.  The newer e85 vehicles are built with seals and plastics that are not subject to degredation from the ethenol.

On older model carburated vehicles the biggest problem is the valve seats.  They aren't made for the ethanol use.  I have a straight 6 head right here i am working on that the seats were eaten up by the alcohol. 

There is a big push to eliminate older vehicles, and one such way they have managed to try and sneak in on most people is turn oil from a lubricant into a coolant.  What they did was to remove a zinc compound from the oil and took away its lubricating properties.  This will kill older vehicles that do not use roller lifters in the engines. 

Thankfully i can get the compound they removed  and add it to my oil.  Its all about the money to force people into buying new vehicles.   

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

mtcookson

Quote from: srkruzich on March 08, 2011, 02:59:32 PMThis will kill older vehicles that do not use roller lifters in the engines.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/askmobil/Zinc_Motor_Oils.aspx

I doubt its an issue of roller lifters though. I doubt most new engines have rollers, maybe higher performance types but most engines will not.

Most of the engines I've seen these days use a "cam over bucket" system where the cam(s) sits directly over the valves and there's a bucket over the valve that the cam rides on directly. Some are hydraulic, some aren't but all are just flat surfaces that the cam rides on.

srkruzich

Quote from: mtcookson on March 08, 2011, 04:16:42 PM
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/askmobil/Zinc_Motor_Oils.aspx

I doubt its an issue of roller lifters though. I doubt most new engines have rollers, maybe higher performance types but most engines will not.

Most of the engines I've seen these days use a "cam over bucket" system where the cam(s) sits directly over the valves and there's a bucket over the valve that the cam rides on directly. Some are hydraulic, some aren't but all are just flat surfaces that the cam rides on.

You know i don't know for sure but i do know every vehicle i've worked on from 1989 to 2005 have had roller lifters in them. They don't ride flat on the cam at all. 
hmmmm  you are right they do still make the hydraulic flat end lifters.   Well thats just one problem with the non lubricating oil that happens.  I know it will wipe out a older vehicle fast partly that and partly because the metals involved were softer back then.

frawin

Quote from: srkruzich on March 08, 2011, 02:59:32 PM
Frank, I've had to rebuild the injectors in my tbi pickup over 10% ethanol.  It eats the seals in them. It also eats up the injection system tubing in the vortec engines thats located under the intake manifold.  It consists of a hard plastic distribution point and tubing that goes to each individual injector. IF one tube is broken or eaten though you have to replace the whole thing to the tune of 350 -500 dollars.   It causes a host of problems in vehicles.  The newer e85 vehicles are built with seals and plastics that are not subject to degredation from the ethenol.

On older model carburated vehicles the biggest problem is the valve seats.  They aren't made for the ethanol use.  I have a straight 6 head right here i am working on that the seats were eaten up by the alcohol. 

There is a big push to eliminate older vehicles, and one such way they have managed to try and sneak in on most people is turn oil from a lubricant into a coolant.  What they did was to remove a zinc compound from the oil and took away its lubricating properties.  This will kill older vehicles that do not use roller lifters in the engines. 

Thankfully i can get the compound they removed  and add it to my oil.  Its all about the money to force people into buying new vehicles.   

Steve maybe all your engine problems are coming from burning Hedgewood or Cedar trees, did you mention using cow manure or was that for your pasture. I just know that I have been using Gasoline with 10% Ethanol for several years and I have not had one single problem.

mtcookson

Quote from: srkruzich on March 08, 2011, 04:24:38 PM
You know i don't know for sure but i do know every vehicle i've worked on from 1989 to 2005 have had roller lifters in them. They don't ride flat on the cam at all.  
hmmmm  you are right they do still make the hydraulic flat end lifters.   Well thats just one problem with the non lubricating oil that happens.  I know it will wipe out a older vehicle fast partly that and partly because the metals involved were softer back then.

Were they pushrod engines? If so, I can definitely understand that. A lot of the pushrod engines I've seen use roller lifters but as far as overhead cam engines go, rollers seem to be pretty rare. They're even moving away from traditional lifters and rockers and just have a bucket "lifter" which actually sits under the cam as a surface for it to ride on to push the valve directly.

I would LOVE to have rollers in all of my engines without hydraulics for some mean cam profiles. ;D

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on March 08, 2011, 05:55:05 PM
Steve maybe all your engine problems are coming from burning Hedgewood or Cedar trees, did you mention using cow manure or was that for your pasture. I just know that I have been using Gasoline with 10% Ethanol for several years and I have not had one single problem.
Ii haven't built a Woodgas generator yet.  with the wood gas generator  you bypass the carburator or tbi injector.  IT goes into a plate below them essentially making the carb or tbi a airflow regulator.   The gas going in is methane.

Alchohol has problems with corroding aluminum components such as heads in a engine, in the throttle bodies and carbs, and also absorbs water from the atmosphere which also corrodes.

srkruzich

Quote from: mtcookson on March 15, 2011, 01:46:44 PM
Were they pushrod engines? If so, I can definitely understand that. A lot of the pushrod engines I've seen use roller lifters but as far as overhead cam engines go, rollers seem to be pretty rare. They're even moving away from traditional lifters and rockers and just have a bucket "lifter" which actually sits under the cam as a surface for it to ride on to push the valve directly.

I would LOVE to have rollers in all of my engines without hydraulics for some mean cam profiles. ;D
Yeah pushrod engines, I've got a 4 banger out here that has roller lifters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk