Howard Couple Improves Downtown

Started by sodbuster, February 01, 2011, 06:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodbuster

First of all Rudy please don't be mad at me for stealing story. Right or wrong my impression of Howard that I get here on the forum is that it has declined since I spent time there in the 60's and 70's. That gives me some sadness since I have so many great memories of the time I spent in Howard. This story gives me hope that Howard will not become a ghost town only living in my memory.

Julie and Patrick Perkins of Howard have finished the remodeling of their third building in downtown Howard, all joined by openings in the parting walls, and all jointly managed by Julie and Patrick and their employees. On the corner is the Family Market which is holding a grand re-opening for the next two weeks, Feb. 2-15. In the middle building is Batson's Drug where Julie is the registered pharmacist, and they also carry a full line of drug store and other health-care supplies. In the newly finished third building is the gift shop which is an expansion of the one previously located behind the pharmacy. Everyone at Batsons' Drug and Family Market invite you to come and see this retail creation which has everyone in the area talking — and shopping in the three shops.

Thank you Julie and Patrick for keeping my great boyhood memories alive.

David Alexander of the Winn Family of Howard, Kansas.
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Clubine Ranch

David, Yes small towns all over have their problems, but rest assured great memories, solid businesses, tidy places, well educated childred, and good neighbors still abound for those that put forth effort. Yes, I know some struggle because of no fault of their own, but on the whole life is what you make of it where you make of it. Very proud of all our people in each town and rural area that do the best they can for themselves and others. The Elk Konnected area is still a great place to be. Barbara

sodbuster

Barbara, after reading your post and mine again, I feel I may not have expressed my love for small towns and Howard in particular correctly. First, I vote for you to be the head of the Howard\Elk County Chamber. Secondly, You are so correct in the fact that Howard is full of hard working great people. My dog "Kansas Boy" was named after my Uncle Neil whom, I am named after, and represents to me the greatness of what Howard can produce. Also, I can not go without mentioning my Uncle Frank(frawinn) whom I am sure most of you know.  Heck, you have to add my whole Winn family for that matter.  My Uncles Bobby and Dewight still live in Howard and certainly deserve the same respect. What I really wanted to express in my first post is that it is sad, the plight of our small towns all across America. They are a treasure that we need to preserve and foster. I read a recent poll that said the majority of people would prefer to live in a small town\rural area. Small town America is what produced the greatness that is the United States of America. Yes, we complain, could improve, but there is no better place to live than where we are now. Just take a look at what is going on in Tunisia and Egypt. No matter how much other countries "hate America" they still keep moving here for our American dream.  I think that pretty much sums it up.  I hope I did a better job with this post. We have much to be thankful for here.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Lookatmeknow!!

Sodbuster, you are so right!! I am originally from Severy, lived there all my childhood. Went away to college, but just couldn't live anywhere else. I love not having the hustle and busle of the big towns. I am fortunate to be able to raise my children in Howard on a farm. I liked the big cities when I was younger, but now that I am older married and have children, I wouldn't live anywhere else!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk