This has finally put me over the edge!!!!

Started by Teresa, January 07, 2011, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

This should be in Misc.. but to be honest.. it is driving me so crazy that I have to post it here first.. ( I will move it later)
How the??.. What the??...

This will drive you crazy............or it better.. cause I don't want to be in the loony bin all by myself.. ???

http://www.regiftable.com/regiftingrobinpopup.html
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

She missed me on both times I tried it..........
Boo Boo Hiss Hiss  Bad game.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Patriot

Come with me, little girl, on a magic carpet ride!   ;D

Here's your answer...   http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_Regifting_Robin_work

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Janet Harrington

Well, she did not get me. I used the number 10. 1 - 0 = 1. 1 was a cell phone and she guessed a mouse pad. Ha ha.

Patriot

Quote from: Janet Harrington on January 08, 2011, 03:24:43 PM
Well, she did not get me. I used the number 10. 1 - 0 = 1. 1 was a cell phone and she guessed a mouse pad. Ha ha.

I think you failed to follow the instructions..... If you chose 10, then the math would be:  10 - 0 - 1 = 9

Try again.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Jane

Warph

Quote from: Patriot on January 08, 2011, 12:23:29 PM
Come with me, little girl, on a magic carpet ride!   ;D

Here's your answer...   http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_Regifting_Robin_work

Every time you subtract the first and second digits of the 2-digit number you chose, it comes up with a multiple of 9.

For example, 25-2-5=18. 18 is a multiple of 9.

So is: 75-5-7=63. 63 is a multiple of 9.

On the Regifting Robin gift list, all of the numbers that are a multiple of 9 have the same gift.

For example, let's say you did: 99-9-9=81.

The number you got will always be a multiple of 9, so all the multiples of 9 get the same gift:

So,

18=labelmaker

27=labelmaker

36=labelmaker

45=labelmaker

and so on and so forth. The gift changes every time to make it more convincing. Labelmaker is an example of a gift. It won't be labelmaker every time.

So the question should be why is it that we always end up with multiples of 9?
Let the number N = Ones+ 10x + 100y + 1000z + ... (example : 574 = 4 + 7*10 + 5*100 )
Its digits are w, x, y, z, ... So the sum of the digits is w + x + y + z + ... = S.

So, N - S = D = (ones-ones) + (10x-x) + (100y-y) + (1000z -z) + ... = 9x + 99y + 999z + ... = 9 (x + 11y + 111z + ...)

So, N - S is a multiple of 9.

But, there is more:

Once again let N = ones + 10x + 100y + 1000z + ...
We want to prove that, if the sum of its digits, S is divisible by 9, then so is the number, N, and conversely.

If S is divisible by 9, then S = 9p. Now add the number D to this, calculated above. S + D = 9p + D. But we saw previously that D itself is a multiple of 9, so D = 9q. Hence, S + D = 9p + 9q = 9(p+q) = 9r, say. But then, S + D is nothing but N. So N = 9r, which is what we wnted to show?

The converse is proved by starting with N = 9r and subtracting D to yield S = 9(r-q) = 9p,say.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_Regifting_Robin_work#ixzz1Fc9ZC4RP

aaaah, yeah... I guess.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Varmit

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk