Just a few tips...

Started by Varmit, January 06, 2011, 09:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatsMRSc2u

LOL Jar....hence the peanut butter and honey :) instead of lard....sides I thought we were talkin survival rations here not Sat. nite dinner LOL!! Lots of things you can LIVE on taste bad enough you'd have to lick your butt to get the taste out of your mouth!

jarhead

Hey Pam, you are talking to someone as a lad had to eat those C-Rations called Ham & Muthers, also known as Ham & Lima Beans, so I know what bad tasting survival food is !!! :)
After I posted about the Army surplus pemmican I googled it. Seems as though the army did use pemmican for the paratroopers in early 40's but didn't go over real good. Soldiers said they would rather starve to death than eat it.

W. Gray

Can't say about the pemmican.

The only kind thing I can say about C rations was for the small can of fruit cocktail included in some of the packs.

I opened a C Ration box in 1966 and the pack date on the box was 1951.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo, In training we ate some of the old c-rats like the Ham & Lima's and those cookies that tasted like lard but in Nam the "rats " we had were mostly only a year old. I hated the Caraway cheese and fruit cake and disliked the date pudding but other than those I liked C-rations. I'm sure y'all got real creative, just like us, in making a feast out of c-rations and if you used enough C-4 you could even make the Beef & Rocks (potatoes ) soft enough to eat. I have a
MEAL, COMBAT, INDIVIDUAL
HAM & EGGS, CHOPPED
B-3 UNIT
sitting here on my "puter" desk. If you bring the P-38 I'll let you partake of a fine meal. It's vintage 11-67, but you can't smoke the Chesterfield cigarettes  because they might be a tad harsh
:)

Diane Amberg

That's funny.I still have the p-38 Al sent me in my kitchen drawer."Just in case." ;D

jarhead

Well Pilgrim, some call it a John Wayne opener.  :)

W. Gray

For those who might be wondering what a p-38 is—is is not an Army lightning aircraft.

It has been described as the Army's greatest invention and as the most perfect invention ever conceived for combat operations. It was crash developed in 1942.

It is an ingenious but small less than two inch device used to open a tin can. One usually came in each box of C rations.

Many troops wore one with their dog tags, not only because it was immediately available to open a can, but also because it could be used for multifunctional purposes.

It has been used as a toothpick, fingernail cleaner, screwdriver, bottle opener, box cutter, chisel, scrapper, letter opener, paint can opener, wire stripper, et. al. Some forum folks can probably describe their own unique use.

The small axe looking protrusion would fold flat against the body of the tool.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo,
If my memory serves me right there were 12 C-ration meals in a case but only four P-38's to a case. When the squad leader would divvy out the meals he always opened the case upside down so it made it fair when you picked your share you didn't get to pick only the good meals. We were allowed two meals a day when we were in the bush, so for example ,when we got re-supplied you would get 10 meals. By my math that should be enough for 5 days but we might not get re-supplied for 7 days or longer. I never did figure that one out !!!! Maybe that's why I only weighed 165 lbs when I left Nam , and that's not counting the 10 lbs of ring worms I had.
Back to the P-38---I will go to my grave thinking a P-38 got one of our squad leaders his 3rd Purple Heart and his ticket home so yes, they had lots of uses.

Varmit

Jarhead, the pressure cooker would be nice, but not really practical, takes up to much space.  But then again, pros and cons to everything i guess. 

Military style MRE's are a good choice simply because they offer a varitey of foods and other utencils.  The water activated heaters can have some "creative" uses when combined with a plastic bottle and small gravel 8)

Pam, I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks.

Shelter--When the SHTF and "bugging out" becomes necessary folks will generally tend to overlook a very important and obvious nessitiy (other than a dictionary :)), that is some form of shelter.  While a compact little dome tent would be nice, in this situation it is not very practical.  An 8 X 10 tarp and a few bungee cords are easier to pack, lighter to carry, can be set up just about anywhere, can be used for other purposes.  Plus the silhouette from a tarp is easier to hide and can be place lower to the ground, making it easier to heat.  Another advantage is that it takes about 1 minute to setup a simple "lean-to" type shelter if rain hits. 
Hopefully, if "it" does happen it will be in either spring or summer.  But Murphys Law being what it is it will be in the middle of winter when you have to hit the road.  So, bedding will be as issue.  A few sheets of clear, heavy plastic can work wonders for your disposition on a cold day.  A heavy winter rated sleeping bag is nice, but bulkly and most are expensive.  If looking for a cheaper route a "space blanket" combined with a military issue Poncho liner (the best thing the Army has ever or will ever issue) will go a long way to footing the bill.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

jarhead

Varmit, Right you are about the poncho liner. In hot weather it works as a mosquito net and in cold weather it's nice and warm. Seems like when they get wet they generate heat. Got one on my bed right now and only thing I don't like about it is they are so slick I lose that puppy during the night. There is an Army surplus store in Wichita on Harry St. that sells poncho liners. Yes a tarp would be nice for a shelter but I'm sure you know how to build a nice waterproof shelter with just a few poles and a bunch of cat tails or branches off a cedar tree. You build a cat tail shelter and I will call you "Muskrat Billy". :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk