DURBIN, Emera Mahlon "Stub" - b. April 11, 1927 - d. December 27, 2010

Started by patyrn, December 27, 2010, 09:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Emera Mahlon "Stub" Durbin, age 83, a resident of Moline, Kansas, passed away December 27, 2010 at the Kansas Heart Hospital in Wichita, Kansas.  He was born on April 11, 1927 in rural Moline, the son of Charles Edward and Ruth May (Sheel) Durbin.

Stub was a graduate of Moline High School.  He served in the United States Navy during World War II.  He worked for a short time as a mail carrier for the United States Postal Service after the war.  On December 5, 1948, he married Joan Hainlin, and to this union was born four children.  On March 27, 1985, Stub married Barbara Bearden in Miami, Oklahoma.

Stub was an independent oilman, clerked at the livestock sales in Moline and Winfield as well as being a farmer and rancher.  He and his wife, Barbara, also owned the Crooked Creek Lodge and Swinging Bridge Cafe in Moline.  Stub was a member of the Moline United Methodist Church, American Legion, Elk County Rodeo Association, Quail Unlimited, and the Moline High School Alumni.  He was an avid outdoorsman, enjoyed a good game of pitch, and most of all, he loved his grandchildren.

Stub is survived by his wife, Barbara of the home; two daughters, Patricia Lanford of Red Oak, Iowa and Roberta Durbin of Moline, Kansas; two sons, Daniel Durbin of Winfield, Kansas and Charles Durbin of Gentry, Arkansas; stepdaughter, Lisa Townsley of Moline, Kansas; stepson, Russell Ratcliff of Moline, Kansas; and eight grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Metta Barnes, Alice Frazier, and Aline Durbin; and one brother Ed Durbin.

Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, December 30, 2010 at Moline United Methodist Church.  Interment will follow at Moline Cemetery.  Visitation will be held on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. with family receiving friends from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349. Family suggests memorial contributions be made to Moline High School Alumni Scholarship Fund or Elk County Rodeo Association and may be left with the funeral home  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Roma Jean Turner

I am so sorry to hear this news Lisa.  Please give your Mom a hug for me.

Clubine Ranch

Stub was our neighbor for many years. Our thoughts and prayers go to his wife Barbara, children Dan, Patty, Charles and Roberta along with Lisa and Russell. Stub will be missed. We are sorry for your loss. Dale and Barbara Clubine

Judy Harder

So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and the family.
God bless and keep you.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

We were very sorry to hear that Stub had passed away. I knew he had been in the Hospital. Stub was a lifelong close friend of my brother-in-law, Marion Jacot and I enjoyed hunting and visiting with Stub many times. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Bonnie M.

I would also add our sympathy.  We've known "Stub" for many years.

Bob & Bonnie
Bonnie

Buddyboy

Sorry to hear of the loss of Mr. Durbin.  He did a lot for the town. He will be missed.

sixdogsmom

I am so sorry to hear this news, we had hoped he was going to get well. God bless the family, and give them peace.
Edie

Janet Harrington

I, too, was sorry to hear of Stubs passing. He really tried to fight his way back to health, but God said it wasn't to be. Prayers to all his family.

Ole Granny

My sympathy to the family.  My Dad was a life-long friend of Stub's and Ed's, also.  Many good times spent in American Legion and Auxilary.  Just good firiends.  Stub was a terrific person.  He will be missed.

Love, Alice
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk