If it's a coup, is it about complete?

Started by Patriot, November 30, 2010, 10:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Today, the US Senate has passed S 510, giving broad new powers to the FDA and other government agencies in the arena of our food supply.  The bill is expected to pass the house with little problem.

With the largest tax increase in US history to hit the public in 32 days, the US Senate is poised to begin debate on the DREAM Act.

There are reports that known terrorist organizations are partnering with drug cartels in Mexico & that those cartels are openly setting up observation posts on the US side of the border to help facilitate human & drug trafficking into the US.  The US Constitution says one of the main functions of the federal government is to provide for a common defense.

The US Government now has unprecedented & increasing authority over our property, health care, medical records, food supply, ability to move about the country without government intervention (delay & search), banking, environment, education, and retirement.  Much more is on the table.

Well funded special interests have more of our elected officials' attention than do We the People.

We really need to realize that as we cede power & control to our governing body (bodies), we reserve less and less to ourselves as individuals.  In theory, we could eventually give over enough control, decision making power & authority to others that we can not easily resist attempts to completely & openly oppress & dictate to the individual.  A situation any dictator would relish:  No need to take the people by open force, the people voluntarily bend over & submit to ever increasing authority.

For now, I say to hell with what was or was not done on 9/11 or in the 1860s & by whom.  We damned sure better be very well aware of what is being done this very day!  Is it consistent with the powers set forth in our founding documents & the well documented processes that led to those documents?  Is our government (from the township to the federal) responding to the concerns of the people or are they operating as self serving sovereigns with little regard to the best interests of liberty & individualism?

QUESTION:  "Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?"
ANSWER:  "A Republic, if you can keep it."  Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)

Have we kept it?  Are we keeping it?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Diane Amberg

It's called multitasking! Being able to concentrate on more than one issue at a time. We better not forget the lessons learned on 9-11. But it does pay to be watchful for other situations as they arise. We better start putting a huge force at our southern border, and soon, but I don't know where we'd get them.  and We The People?  Sounds so all encompassing doesn't it? But listen to how you  (plural) talk. Only conservatives, liberals need not apply? WASPS only?  North VS south? City VS country? Repubs. VS Demos. Tea Party VS everybody? Your "WE" seems to only include a few of the "right " people and you don't care about the rest, they are unworthy. But they all vote. Better get them all on board if you really want to do something.
   If S510 is so bad why are the Rebubs. going to pass it? Not arguing, just asking.

thats MRSc2u

The answer Diane is money.......as usual.........BIG money and power............one Mo. senator voted FOR/ one against  guess you know which one voted yes much as it pains my ass to admit it was the democrat........this is a BULLshit bill..........one more way for CORPORATE farms to squeeze out the little guy........if we lose the small farmers, the organic farmers, the farmers markets, the little old lady sellin eggs down the road....... we are SCREWED BLUED and TATTOOED............this plays to my particular little governmental overstep peeve. I dont want to HAVE to buy whatever the COMPANY STORE wants to LET me buy.......My OTHER pet bitch at the moment is the "plan" to sell off public lands to PRIVATE owners.......don't even get me started on THAT one.

Lame duck Congress to debate controversial new food bill giving Homeland Security authority over the FDA
NOVEMBER 20, 2010
tags: congress, FDA, government control, Homeland Security, regulations, Senate
by Steve Dennis
  Late last week the Senate voted for cloture on S 510–the Food Safety Modernization Act–by a margin of 74-25 with little to no fanfare whatsoever. Every Democrat voted in favor of this bill and they were joined by fourteen Republicans, including my retiring Senator, Judd Gregg. On the surface this bill looks benign, after all we all want to make sure that our food sources are safe right? But there are some questions and controversies related to this bill and that is probably why the Senate has moved stealthily on this bill.

This bill would expand the role of both the FDA and Department of Health and Human Services, but even more worrisome is the fact that Section 109 of this bill would place the FDA under the Department of Homeland Security. This bill may not be as benign as it appears.

This bill would usher in sweeping new regulations over just about everybody who grows and sells food, with the exception of large farms and restaurants–they were granted an exemption, strangely enough–and appears to be aimed at small growers who probably sell some food to the local farmers market.

(2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

So large farms are exempt from these new regulations and this bill is supposedly being passed to prevent widespread food borne illnesses? How many people who have become sick during  the recent food recalls received the tainted food from the local farmers market? That answer would be zero. So why then does this bill exempt the farms where contamination is most likely to occur while unfairly targeting the little guy?

Because this bill is about more than just food safety, it is about controlling the food sources. It is about cracking down on those people who have the gall to grow their own food and sell some of it to local markets without first having to be overburdened by restrictive government regulations. These people are not mass producing food where there is a higher likelihood of contamination, yet they are being targeted because the government wants more control over what they grow and what the American people eat.

So who supports this bill and who opposes it? Here is a look at some of the organizations that support S 510: General Mills, Kraft Foods North America, National Association of Manufacturers and 25 more organizations. While it is opposed by:  American Grassfed Association, Family Farm Defenders, Small Farms Conservancy 93 others.

It is quite telling that large manufacturers support this legislation while small growers oppose it. This bill would put unfair burdens on local growers; if you enjoy getting fresh fruits and vegetables at the farmers market–foods that were grown locally and are as fresh as can be–you may be out of luck as this bill could regulate those growers out of business.

What is going on here? Why is this such a high priority in the lame duck Congress? The Congress is looking to reconcile this bill and send it to the president for his signature before the lame duck Congress is over. There has to be a reason for this; I think that we can all agree that there are much more important issues that the Congress should be dealing with right now–from jobs and the economy to the expiration of the Bush tax cuts–it seems odd to me that this would be the issue that the Congress would focus on.

And speaking of jobs and the economy, imposing more regulations and fees on the small farmer and grower is going to cost some of them jobs as well as causing the prices of food to rise. Is that any way to help a struggling economy? Are rising food costs what struggling Americans need right now? I don't think so.

The American people do not know much about this bill as it is being rushed quietly through the Congress and it is on track to be signed into law before the lame duck Congress ends and before the American people even know what is going on. This bill must be stopped and if there is to be a debate on S 510 it needs to take place during the new Congress, after the people have had a chance to read about and learn about this bill.

Barack Obama promised to have the most transparent administration in history, but this bill is silently making its way through the Congress unbeknownst to a vast majority of the American people. If Barack Obama and the Congress were serious about transparency they would slow down this bill in order to give the American people the chance to have a look at it, and the only way to do that would be to wait until the new Congress is seated. Yet they feel the need to get this bill done quickly and I for one do not trust them at all.

The federal government went after healthcare first and we are already beginning to see the horror stories emerge even before the bill has been fully implemented–do we really want them taking more control over our food supply in general, and the local growers specifically?

thats MRSc2u

Senate Bill S510: Protecting Food Safety or Penalizing Small Farmers

Written by Jackson Pauley

Shortly after the Thanksgiving break, the U.S. Senate will vote to finalize Senate Bill 510: Food Safety Act which the House voted this week in a 74-25 vote to proceed with. The question, however, is this: does this bill provide actual food safety protection or does it rather structure legislation to take power and even sustainability away from local farmers and give legal loopholes and potential reasons to shut down and penalize small, often organic farms, to large produce manufactures? The answer, of course, depends on whom you ask. And the answer, of course, varies widely between the answer given by legislatures and by farmers and farming advocates.
Let's start with the government's take on the bill. The bill is designed to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) more control to recall products and also require stricter standards for keeping food safe. That's great! If you trust the FDA, and we're not afraid to say there's many a reason not to trust the FDA.
Now, let's address what farmers and farming advocates say the threat of the now bill would be. And the list is long. The bill essentially would grant the FDA authority over the public's right to grow, trade and transport food. It essentially puts all food production (with the exemption listed in the paragraph to follow) under the authority of the Department of Homeland Security. It cedes power and authority over food production legislation in many counts to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and Codex Alimentarius (this, by the way, we do not think is a horrible thing). However, it criminalizes seed saving, which clearly has no purpose other than to give already dangerous GMO corporations like Monsanto a huge monopoly (we already know Monsanto has the best lobbyists ever). It also puts into play an extreme amount of food paperwork, which localized and smaller farms will not have the resources to comply with, and which gives an even greater competitive advantage to huge corporations. It, in short, does more to ensure the status quo than actually improve food safety.

There is, however, an exemption. Senator Jon Tester, Democrat from Montana, has put forth an amendment that would allow farmers who make less than $500,000 a year in revenue and sell directly to consumers, restaurants or grocery stores within 275 miles of their farms to avoid the expensive food safety plans required of the larger corporations. Does that solve the problem? Probably not. And almost certainly not since the verbiage then restates that state and local authorities would still have oversight over the farms, and you can assume they will similarly legislate. Also, there are a great number of farms that would fall above that number whose ability to maintain production would be severely impacted if not entirely destroyed.

Food safety is important, but it doesn't need to happen in a way that is so very obviously simply a way to ensure continued power by giant food corporations during a time when people are increasingly willing to switch to local, organic produce.

Frankly, isn't it interesting that the government would want greater control over food production with the pending global food shortage? Ponder.

thats MRSc2u

Action Alerts    - 2010 Action Alerts? The Weston A Price Foundation
Monday, 29 November 2010 13:21
The final vote on S.510, the Food safety Modernization Act, is scheduled for this evening (Monday, November 29).  The first step will be a cloture vote to allow the Managers Package version of the bill to proceed, which will require 60 votes.  Four amendments will then be  debated, followed by a final vote on the bill.

As it currently stands, the Managers Package of the bill includes the Tester-Hagan amendment.  For many months, we have been pushing for this amendment to be included in the bill to carve out a sphere of protection for small-scale, direct marketing producers.  The version of the Tester-Hagan amendment that is included in the bill exempts producers grossing under $500,000 (adjusted for inflation) and selling more than half of their products directly to qualified end users from the HACCP-type requirements and the produce safety standards.  Qualified end users means individual consumers (with no geographic limitation), or restaurants and retail food establishments that are EITHER located in the same state OR within 275 miles of the producer.  While complex, this amendment effectively carves out small-scale producers who are selling in-state or to local foodsheds from two of the most burdensome provisions of the bill.

At the same time, we dont think S.510 is a good bill even with the amendment.  It increases FDAs power, which will undoubtedly lead to even more battles between FDA and local food producers and consumers.  FDA has abused the powers it already has, and that will almost certainly continue, with or without this bill.

We also know that Big Agribusiness is NOT happy with the inclusion of the Tester-Hagan amendment in the bill.  Groups such as the Produce Marketing Association and the Western Growers Association are busy lobbying the Senate to try to have the amendment pulled back out.

As bad as the bill is now, it would be even worse without the amendment!

Different people and organizations have different views, so you may get conflicting advice.  Our belief is that the bill will most likely pass the Senate, and that it is critical to ensure that the protections of the Tester-Hagan amendment are not lost in last-minute backroom deals.

WHATS NEXT?

If S510 passes the Senate this week, there is still more to come. First, the bill will go to the House of Representatives.  Rather than try to reconcile the bill with the House version (HR 2749), the House leadership has agreed to put S510 to a vote on the floor of the House. Because time is running out for this Congress, any changes by the House would almost certainly kill the bill.  If the House passes S510, it then goes to the President.

Second, next year, Congress will face the question of appropriating money to implement the new laws and regulations.  S510 authorizes, but does not appropriate, monies for the FDA-expanded regulation of domestic and imported conventional food producers, distributors, and retailers, and the hiring of more FDA bureaucrats.  To carry out all of the new rules and FDA authorities, Congress will have to approve $1.4 billion of new spending or cut other programs accordingly, based on the CBO estimates.  This gives us a chance to affect the level of funding and how the money can be spent.

Third, FDA will start the rulemaking process.  The agency will almost certainly try to marginalize the role of local foods producers and consumers in the process.  We will have to take action to ensure that  our concerns are on the record and that elected officials in Congress are also involved to try to rein in the agency from overstepping its bounds.

ACTION TO TAKE:

Call your Senators and ask to speak to the staffer who handles food safety issues.  Urge them to, at a minimum, stand firm on including the Tester-Hagan amendment in the bill.  Explain to them that local food producers and consumers already face problems because of FDA, and we are worried about what FDA will do with expanded powers.  And then look beyond the bill, and ask them to take action to protect local food producers through the appropriations process and through oversight of the agency.  Tell them that you will hold your Senators accountable for what FDA does, and that their job does not end with this bill.

If you get their voice mail, leave a message: My name is ____, and I am a constituent who is concerned about the expanded authority that FDA would have under S510, the food safety bill.  I urge Senator _____ to, at a minimum, ensure that the Tester-Hagan amendment stays in the bill. The FDA has a track record of abusing its authority to go after small-scale producers, while turning a blind eye to the many problems caused by large industrial producers.  With or without S510, I urge my Senator to take steps to rein in the FDAs abuses.  I would like to talk with you more about this, please call me back at ________.

CONTACT INFO:

You can call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators offices.  You can also find your Senators contact information online at

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

If their phone line is busy, you can use their web form to contact them or fax a short note.

OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST

During the last several months, we have also asked you to call on two other amendments to the bill: to support an amendment to ban BPA and to oppose an amendment to add criminal penalties.  Senator Feinstein chose to withdraw her amendment to ban BPA in the face of industry opposition. Senator Leahys amendment to add criminal penalties appears to be dead, although we will continue to watch for it.

thats MRSc2u

Just to make my position crystal clear........among MANY things I do not think the government should EVER be allowed control of....two VERY important ones to me are our food and our water.........Big CORPORATIONS should NEVER be allowed to monopolize food or water......if we lose THOSE two....the rest just really arent going to matter are they?

srkruzich

Well screw it, to hell with the FDA and congress.  I'll grow my own damn food, produce honey, and sell it to whomever wants it.  This is crap.  And if i ever get her bred, I'm going to still drink raw milk and make my cheese from her milk, as well as sell it to whomever wants it.  What the govt doesn't know about won't hurt them.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 30, 2010, 03:08:47 PM
It's called multitasking! Being able to concentrate on more than one issue at a time. We better not forget the lessons learned on 9-11. But it does pay to be watchful for other situations as they arise. We better start putting a huge force at our southern border, and soon, but I don't know where we'd get them.  and We The People?  Sounds so all encompassing doesn't it? But listen to how you  (plural) talk. Only conservatives, liberals need not apply? WASPS only?  North VS south? City VS country? Repubs. VS Demos. Tea Party VS everybody? Your "WE" seems to only include a few of the "right " people and you don't care about the rest, they are unworthy. But they all vote. Better get them all on board if you really want to do something.
   If S510 is so bad why are the Rebubs. going to pass it? Not arguing, just asking.

Because most of them haven't reread the amended changes.  Damn Diane, you make claims your not liberal but you sure damn well act like one with all the love for regulation of everything!

srkruzich

what we need to do is create a underground network.  Shoot hold farmers markets on private lands  Do food co-ops. 

Patriot

...  and We The People?  Sounds so all encompassing doesn't it? But listen to how you  (plural) talk. Only conservatives, liberals need not apply? WASPS only?  North VS south? City VS country? Repubs. VS Demos. Tea Party VS everybody? Your "WE" seems to only include a few of the "right " people and you don't care about the rest, they are unworthy. But they all vote. Better get them all on board if you really want to do something.

Oh, bullspit.

Ask those 'conspiracy theorists' you disdain so much.  Their answer will ring as clear as a bell if your mind is open.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk