First Nazarene Church West of the Mississippi River

Started by W. Gray, November 28, 2010, 12:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This is a photo of the original United Presbyterian Church constructed in 1879 on the northwest corner of Perry and Adams streets in Howard.

According to the Elk County history book, where the first photo and information came from, it was purchased by the Nazarene denomination and was the first Nazarene Church west of the Mississippi River. The Nazarene's used it until 1961.

At the time the history book was published in the late seventies, it was the Wesleyan Church and had forty members.

Over the last several years, the church had become an eyesore and was about to fall down. Sometime in the last two years, or so, the church had been bulldozed and the material left in a pile.

Since my last visit to Howard, the mess has been cleaned up and only a smoothed out vacant lot remains.

I was advised the house next door might have been the parsonage. No one has lived there for several years and it is in pretty bad shape
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

When the Wesleyan Church sold that property, Mike McLean bought it. Recently, I believe one of the Griesel's bought it and cleaned it up. I hope I spelled Griesel correctly.

Dale Smith

Wow.. I lived in that old house back in the late 70's.  It wasn't much of a house back then.  But, it was great living next door to Paul and Izola Moore.

Teresa

Paul and Izola are awesome people. I recently gave Izola a massage and she is still one of the classiest and grandest ladies I know.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk