Reroofing the Court House

Started by Marcia Moore, November 20, 2010, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The company involved is the Mid-Continental Restoration of Fort Scott, Kansas, but no one was working until Monday.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Those are very good pictures, Waldo.  So detailed and clear.  I wonder from whence you took them.

twirldoggy

It would be nice if come next Spring, landscaping was added.  Benches and tables for the staff and community.  Bushes flowers and a few small trees.

W. Gray

Wilma,

I took them from the north side on Washington Street using a telephoto lens for the roof. Later I discovered there might have been some better takes on the south side but did not have my camera with me at the time.

I should have asked Neva about the cost. I am wondering if the Kansas State Historical Society is picking up the entire cost. I kind of doubt it, which means some of it is probably being paid with the loan from the Longton Bank.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

This is a cut and paste from a South Central Kansas Economic Development District web site and does not say much. The info is from September 2010.

*Elk County Heritage Trust Fund Award for Courthouse Repairs – SHPO has approved change in project scope due to the considerably high project bids. Commission had recommended rebidding project even though SHPO indicated we could negotiate with the low bidder. This is being reconsidered in light of the recent storms and the anticipated unavailability of roofing contractors.

Here is another item that does not say much:

-Elk County Rural Water District #2 – Construction is underway, Draw of construction funds complete. KDOC has scheduled their on-site monitoring for October 21st. Final draw down of funds and close-out anticipated for January/February 2011 pending completion of construction.

And a third item:

Projects for the 2010 CDBG Special Competitive Funding Round
None of the 4 applications written and submitted for the June 15th Special CDBG Round were funded.
Applications submitted were:
• City of Harper - $500,000 grant application for $2,155,000 Water Treatment Plant
• City of Sedan - $200,000 grant application for $230,000 water system improvement project
• City of Pretty Prairie - $500,000 grant application for a $575,000 downtown street improvement project
• Elk County - $500,000 grant application for a $575,000 project to demolish old grade school and
construct new joint facility for County Health Department & Extension Services
Elk County and the City of Sedan have decided to not pursue re-applying for a future grant in the fall round.
Pretty Prairie and Harper are re-packaging their applications and re-submitting for the fall rounds.
-

W. Gray

A KSHS web site says that KSHS Heritage Trust Fund preservation grants for buildings on the National Register of Historic Places cannot exceed $90,000 and must be matched by the grant recipient.

So far, I have not found any specifics on the project.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk