Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943

Started by Warph, November 23, 2010, 05:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America's rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Judy Harder

What a history lesson. Loved the pictures. If you haven't looked yet, please take the time. I know several of you have lived it, but since I wasn't born till 42 it kind of was my mom and dad's life.................well sort of. They both were born in 21 and lived through those times............and came out winners.
Too bad, I didn't enjoy history when I was in school..........hindsight I guess makes it nicer..
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

sixdogsmom

Thanks for sharing, awesome record of this country and the way in which we used to live.
Edie

Teresa

I have looked at these pictures 32 times now.. and each time I gather more detail...
Amazing.. and sad at the same time.
The looks in their eyes,. and skin conditions living conditions etc tell large stories about life then.
Thanks for putting these up here.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk