Slaughterhouse

Started by W. Gray, November 28, 2010, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Looks like someone is trying to tear down the old slaughterhouse on East Monroe Street.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I noticed that. It is bad shape. That is the old Wyler Packing Company facility. That was a going concern and employed several people when I was growing up there. My brother was the Salesman and called on Grocery stores and probably Restaurants  over a 3-4 county area, to sell them meat. They killed both Hogs and Cattle there. The owner Ed Wyler was one of a kind.

W. Gray

I think someone on the forum once said that was where Toots Drive In got its hamburger and other meats when it opened in the fifties.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Now, you are talking about something I have never heard of. Exactly where is this building?

Mom70x7

I haven't driven by, to be sure, but I think it's the place by Stange's Ice House, etc.

frawin

Janet, it is behind, just West of Ed Henry's old Cities Service Station, on the Highway. Just South and East of where Vince Nelson lives.

Jo McDonald

Yes, it is just back of Jim Stange's ice place.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

Genealogynut posted the below newspaper item about 3.5 years ago. The "other complications" mentioned in the article was an apparent reference to a divorce as genealogynut mentioned that as another possibility prompting the sale.

Howard Courant-Citizen
Thursday, April 24, 1958

The Wyler Packing Plant, which has been operating in the east part of Howard for a number of years, was closed down last week and E. H. Wyler, owner, is advertising a public auction for May 16th, to dispose of the land, buildings, pens, all equipment and supplies on hand, as well as three trucks which have been used in the business.

Mr. Wyler reports that due to ill health and other complications he finds it necessary to take time for medical and surgical attention.  He plans to retain his farms and other interests here.

The company has enjoyed a good business during the past and their products were always high class and were distributed over a large territory.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk