Members of US Congress Get Richer Despite Sour Economy

Started by Warph, November 17, 2010, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Despite a devastating recession, the collective personal wealth of congressional members increased by more than 16 percent between 2008 and 2009, according to study released Wednesday by the Center for Responsive Politics.

In contrast, U.S. median household income dropped 3 percent to $50,221 in 2009, the second straight decline, according to the Census Dept.  In terms of millionaires, only about 1 percent of the overall population qualifies.

The Richest Members of Congress:  Recently, the Capitol Hill publication Roll Call analyzed the financial assets of U.S. lawmakers — annual disclosures they are required to make — to determine the members of the US Congress that have the highest approximate net worth.  Although these Congressional disclosures are not exact — they are displayed in a range of estimated value over broad categories.  http://www.cnbc.com/id/39287818/?The_Richest_Members_of_the_US_Congress_2010

Rest of Article at: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40233691
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Sodbuster

Right on Warph! So many of our government officials, both Democratic and Republican are just out of touch with the average American. All I want is someone that understands they are supposed to be working for us, the average citizen.

jerry wagner

Quote from: Warph on November 17, 2010, 10:24:25 AM

Despite a devastating recession, the collective personal wealth of congressional members increased by more than 16 percent between 2008 and 2009, according to study released Wednesday by the Center for Responsive Politics.

In contrast, U.S. median household income dropped 3 percent to $50,221 in 2009, the second straight decline, according to the Census Dept.  In terms of millionaires, only about 1 percent of the overall population qualifies.

The Richest Members of Congress:  Recently, the Capitol Hill publication Roll Call analyzed the financial assets of U.S. lawmakers — annual disclosures they are required to make — to determine the members of the US Congress that have the highest approximate net worth.  Although these Congressional disclosures are not exact — they are displayed in a range of estimated value over broad categories.  http://www.cnbc.com/id/39287818/?The_Richest_Members_of_the_US_Congress_2010

Rest of Article at: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40233691

So let me get this straight... you support the campaigns of such people as Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, who are unbelievably wealthy but those that are already elected cannot be wealthy?

Warph

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 17, 2010, 08:06:10 PM
So let me get this straight... you support the campaigns of such people as Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, who are unbelievably wealthy but those that are already elected cannot be wealthy?

That's correct, Jerry. 
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Patriot

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 17, 2010, 08:06:10 PM

You betcha!  Unlike many of the silver spooned, lawyers and coddled affirmative action babies that are there now,  Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina have run successful  businesses, employed people, made a payroll, and paid their taxes (See: C Rangle/T Geitner under 'tax cheats').
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Roma Jean Turner

Roma Jean Turner

Sorry..I mean't that would be my answer Patriot.  Varmint probably does agree with us.

Patriot

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on November 18, 2010, 09:25:47 AM
Varmint probably does agree with us.

I don't know, Roma Jean.  A lot of foreigners on here think Varmint is pretty disagreeable!   :o

jerry wagner

Quote from: Patriot on November 18, 2010, 09:11:53 AM
You betcha!  Unlike many of the silver spooned, lawyers and coddled affirmative action babies that are there now,  Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina have run successful  businesses, employed people, made a payroll, and paid their taxes (See: C Rangle/T Geitner under 'tax cheats').

So you don't think that lawyers have to run a successful business? 

Patriot

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 18, 2010, 09:41:10 AM
So you don't think that lawyers have to run a successful business? 

Leaches do things too, but that doesn't necessarily relate to productive business experience.  As a group, while many lawyers may be personally likable, their 'business' is often to make money off the troubles of others, or to pit one group against another taking either a fee or a contingency.  I don't equate that with the productive efforts of the likes of Meg Whitman, et al.  In many cases, lawyers are more a necessary evil, imo.  For what it's worth, most of my last 40 years have been spent working with/around/for lawyers.  Yes, they run a 'business'.  Obfuscation and distortion is often their trade.  No, they are not (imho) equally qualified with the likes of Whitman to represent citizens in the political arena.

(See John Edwards under lawyer/politicians/ill gotten wealth)
(See C Rangle under lawyers/politicians without a clue)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk