Sorry Smokers, Kathleen Sebelius Wants Your Cigarettes... Eventually

Started by Warph, November 11, 2010, 02:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

I watched this on C-span tonight...  Sebelius and Dr. Howard Koh, asst. HHS, (brother of State Dept. Legal advisor and world class nut case, Harold Koh, Clown Esquire) are the two behind this.  They want you to quit smoking!  They have come up with what they call an ingenious way to make you quit.  It didn't work in Chili and it won't work here.  In fact, the youth smoking rate almost doubled.  Ah... the freaking government.  I can see it now.... next they'll be putting slabs of fat extracted during these same peoples' liposuction on display in the fast-food restaurants as well.  Or, how about this.  Why not label everything this way.  A few examples: On the sides of banks we could have pictures of foreclosed homeless people; on the sides of oil trucks could be pictures of dead pelicans; on the sides of Wal-Mart could be pictues of Asian sweat-shops.  I could go on and on and... (yawn) ...on.  There is no doubt smoking causes cancer, heart disease.... etc.  About 20.6 percent of the nation's adults, or 46.6 million people, and about 19.5 percent of high school students, or 3.4 million teenagers, are smokers.  Think these people are going to quit because of pictures on a cigarette pack?  I think not.

.....Warph

WASHINGTON — Federal drug regulators on Wednesday unveiled 36 proposed warning labels for cigarette packages, including one showing a toe tag on a corpse and another in which a mother blows smoke on her baby.

Designed to cover half the surface area of a pack or carton of cigarettes, and a fifth of any advertisements for them, the labels are intended to spur smokers to quit by providing graphic reminders of tobacco's dangers. The labels are required under a law passed last year that gave the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate, but not ban, tobacco products for the first time.

Rest of goofy story at:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/health/policy/11tobacco.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

srkruzich

Holy cow, after years of desensitizing the public with texas chainsaw massecre, resident evil 1 -3, silence of the lambs, ect ect ect they think thats going to stop anyone?  Sheeesh
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

ALSO notice in the article the slick attempt to associate the United states as the drug dealer to the world, with this comment
the first settlers were traders for england, france and spain.  They were the ones who developed the trade. and turned it into business. Long before the US was even thought of.

QuoteWith Wednesday's announcement, the United States — whose first European settlements in the 17th century helped to create and feed a global tobacco addiction — edged a step closer to joining those nations' efforts to reduce the centuries-old epidemic of tobacco-related deaths.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

I'm sure it will straighten my arse right out.  NOT!!!!!!!!! :P

Varmit

What a bunch of dumbasses.  If they are going to go that route then they should put pictures of mulitilated fetues outside abortion clinics, pictures of a broken, devastated, carnage ridden third world pest hole outside all the democratic offices.  Or if they really want to save money in these times, quit trying to dictate the peoples lives and stop spending money on these types of completely useless propaganda.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Patriot

Makes my wallet hurt.  I'm goin to the barn for a smoke and some coffee while I think about this one.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

twirldoggy

Another thought:  It is very disrespectful to the human being who has their photo on the pack of cigarettes. 
What are we coming to if we do this.

mtcookson

Hmm... *pulling out my pack o' smokes" Well look at that, its plastic! Oh and I make my own cigarettes too. Yay, I won't even be affected at all by this (not that I would even care). :D

Plan B Ms. Shebillsus?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk