HANDY, James "Thaine" - b. May 2, 1916 - d. October 30, 2010

Started by patyrn, October 31, 2010, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

James "Thaine" Handy of Coffeyville, Kansas passed away on Saturday, October 30, 2010 at Windsor Place in Coffeyville.  He was 94.  Services are pending.

patyrn

James "Thaine" Handy, 94, of Coffeyville, Kansas, passed away Saturday, October 30, 2010 at Windsor Place in Coffeyville.  Thaine was born May 2, 1916 in Baca County, Colorado to Homer and Pearl (Parks) Handy.  

He attended school in Rolla, Kanss.  The family moved to a farm in Elk County, Kansas in the early 1930s.  On April 21, 1946, he married Nellie Atwell in the First Christian Church of Sedan, Kansas.  They made their home in Howard, Kansas.

Mr. Handy was a veteran of World War II.  He entered the service in January after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  He served in the 13th Engineers of the 7th Division under General MacArthur for three years and five months.  He was all over the Pacific Theatre and was in four major battles:  Attu, Marshall Islands, Philippines, and Okinawa.  After his return home, he entered in the propane business and continued in that business for eighteen years.  He moved to Coffeyville in 1962 and started working for his son-in-law at the O.K. Electric Shop as a motor winder.

Thaine was a member of the First Christian Church where he served as Deacon for many years.  He was also President of his Sunday School Class.  He liked to garden, fish, hunt, and read Westerns.

James Thaine Handy is survived by his son-in-law, Dale Hamlin; granddaughter, Terri Moley and husband, Tom; three great-grandchildren, Jason Nash, Jesse Moley, and Megan Camp; seven great-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his loving wife, Nellie; daughter, Patricia (Atwell) Hamlin; granddaughter, Tracy Burnett; great-grandson, Joey Moley; brothers, Howard and Forrest Handy; and sister, Inez Grossman.

A funeral service will be held on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at Penwell-Gabel Ford-Wulf-Burns Chapel, 2405 Woodland Avenue, Coffeyville, Kansas 67337.  Pastor Clay Bramble will officiate.  Burial will follow at the Longton Cemetery in Longton, Kansas.  Kansas National Guard will provide military honors at the graveside.

Friends may call on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 from 2:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home to sign the guest register.  The family suggests memorial contributions may be made to the First Christian Church Memorial Fund.

(taken from the Penwell-Gabel Funeral Home website)

Teresa

His wife Nell~~ was my Grandma( Cleora)  McDonald's sister...
They both were fine people.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

Teresa, I didn't realize Thaine was still living, until I talked to Patty at the Class of 1956 reunion. Patty passing away surprised me because she seemed in good health when I talked to her. My sister Myrna was in the class of 56 and she and Patty ran around together. Thaine lived a long life and no doubt got to enjoy his family.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk