Teachers Unions

Started by Diane Amberg, October 23, 2010, 05:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

NEA and the state locals were also a good source of materials, or used to be before the internet, and provided scholarship money. I never joined the AFT,the union, because they were a little too militant for me at the time. Steve, I know we talked about this before. I'm sure the KNEA would be happy to explain themselves to you and explain their mission. I hope your teachers are KNEA members!

sixdogsmom

Unfortunately, I think that this issue of the bad teachers in 283 should probably not be hijacked. Please start a separate thread about the teachers unions and leave this one devoted to the welfare of the students of USD 283. I know that  conversations normally ebb and flow through many subjects, but this is much too important an issue to the children of Elk County to allow the subject to be changed. Sorry----- :-\
Edie

Sarge

Well, it's just my personal opinion, but I would not encourage any teacher to join the NEA.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

twirldoggy

I think it is relevant that only one Elk Valley teacher is in the NEA.  Does this reflect that only one is qualified to join?  Is it a matter of finances ( the teachers are paid so little they dont want to waste money on the union) or is it a matter of philosophy/politics  ( they dont believe in the tenets of the organization).  If the community is going to stand up for the school they need to know this and know the reasons.  

Lack of qualified teachers who could join the organization would be a concern and they want to address the problem of qualified teachers.

Wilma

I don't know any of the teachers at Elk Valley, but might it be a matter of being local citizens rather than just living there because that is where the job is.  Or maybe a matter of geographical location?  How far away is the nearest NEA site?  Just how much help would it be to a teacher at Elk Valley in keeping his job or in helping teachers negotiate with the school board?  For that matter, how many West Elk teachers belong to the NEA?

twirldoggy

Proudparent says there is only one teacher in the NEA.  There would be no close site for the NEA. It is a national organization.  KNEA would likely be in Topeka.

The point is that if there are no teachers but one qualified to join NEA, then the board has a pattern of hiring unqualified teachers: ie those that don't have a degree in education and those that do not qualify for a full time, real teaching license.

Lookatmeknow!!

I think it is truly up to the teachers themselves to join. I think that West Elk has some members. I know when I teached I was a member of the KNEA. It was something like 100.00 I think and its a yearly fee if I am wrong. I don't see what could be the problem with being members. But that is my opinion. I used them when I lost my job, they looked into the matter to help find if things were on the up and up. Just stating my opinion.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

Quote from: angtown3 on October 25, 2010, 06:25:23 AM
I don't see what being a member of NEA has to do with the problem. They wouldn't support this teacher calling the kids names nor would they support him teaching without a valide license. And why is it so bad to be a member of the NEA?

Because once you get bad teachers in, they make it impossible to get them out. Got a nephew that i took care of for a year.  He went to the local public school  and when i refused to drug him with the drug of choice of schools, one teacher kept failing him.  called several meetings with her to review the tests, and i looked the tests over and when i scored them he passed.  The answers were right.  she refused to reverse the scores, so i called a meeting with the admin.  She still refused to reverse the scores so i called superintendent and brought her up to him.  She  sat right there and told us that she didn't like him and that unless we drugged him with ritalin that she didn't want to deal with the ADHD.  I told her that she would do her job and do it right and fair, or leave one or the other.   She sat right there and stated that she had 1 year to retirement and she was doing as little as possible.  Had her lawyers from the NEA right there.  I looked at the super and told him he needed to clean house and fire her, pension or no pension she was a detriment to education as well as a leach on public monies.  He shrugged his shoulders as he looked at her lawyers and said his hands were tied.

THERE Is no reason for the NEA.  IF a teacher does her job and a good job she should keep her job.  IF a teacher is bad, they should lose their jobs.  NO UNION should EVER be involved in our childrens education whatsoever. THey are absolutely corrupt.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jerry wagner

Quote from: angtown3 on October 25, 2010, 06:32:02 AM
I think it is truly up to the teachers themselves to join. I think that West Elk has some members. I know when I teached I was a member of the KNEA. It was something like 100.00 I think and its a yearly fee if I am wrong. I don't see what could be the problem with being members. But that is my opinion. I used them when I lost my job, they looked into the matter to help find if things were on the up and up. Just stating my opinion.

It is and should be every teacher's right to organize despite what the detractors of the unions might say.  They are a useful tool that helps to improve the livelihood of their members.  We should not forget the many things that they have done to improve lives for workers.

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on October 25, 2010, 08:56:28 AM
It is and should be every teacher's right to organize despite what the detractors of the unions might say.  They are a useful tool that helps to improve the livelihood of their members.  We should not forget the many things that they have done to improve lives for workers.
Oh please ..... tell that to the folks on the picket lines in wichita while their union reps are partying in vegas.   Only difference between a union and a mafia is that the unions are legal.   SHoot, just look at tsa.  They are a bunch of unqualified, lazy can't get a job anywhere else cause they're worthless.  So give em a govt job and unionize and they are in for life. 
Unions served a purpose 100 years ago.  They no longer serve any purpose but to suck a company dry of any resources or capital it needs to expand and thrive.   I love the policy of most us companies, they tell you they are a non union shop and they keep it that way.  Anyone that talks union finds themselves unemployed
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk