The Inauguration Of George Washington

Started by Teresa, September 20, 2010, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

These great men had their priorities in order...God and Country.
My oh my~~~ how we have strayed from these principles. Let us ..as Americans.. go back to the foundations that were laid by great patriots. and once again embrace God and country, and the principles that made this nation mighty.......morals..ethics..the love of God.. and the love of America.

This Nation will return to GREATNESS when, and only IF, we return to our roots.

This is a classic scene from the HBO special 'John Adams':  ( which was absolutely an awesome series...)

The first inauguration of George Washington as the President of the United States took place on April 30, 1789.

If you haven't seen this series.. you should do so~~

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

Watching this again..brings up all kinds of thoughts and facts.. and goosebumps.. * I can't watch it and not get 'truth bumps" all over my body.

We pledge our lives, our fortunes and our SACRED honor...
Great men from a different time when words were the measure of a man and his bond.
When obscure concepts like honor actually had meaning. Those are still the qualities and measure of greatness today. We just don't have as many folks who live by them anymore... and very many fewer in office who do.

You know..the funny thing is George Washington really did not want to be president; he just wanted to be a farmer. He was basically drafted by a unanimous vote.. and did so not because it was what he wanted to do but because it was the right thing to do. Most politicians of the day, really wanted to do their duty, and GO HOME, back to their lives.

And another thing~~~
When I say "This Nation will return to GREATNESS when, and only IF, we return to our roots.".
It is because it is exactly what we need today. People of character getting involved and standing up. Not because they want power, but because it is the right thing to do!  A true uphill battle that we all must rise up to even if we really don't want to. When you look at the small percentage of people who are actually willing to educate themselves and vote ( which is around only 30%) ..makes me wonder what we could do as a nation if we all banned together to bring our dear country back to where she is supposed to be.

We all need to do our part to educate everyone we can and get them to vote! Now is the time for each and every one of us to get involved and step outside of the comfort zone to restore our country!

Anmar

Teresa,  does that include taking away the right to vote for women?  Washington and the other founders didn't think women should vote.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on October 16, 2010, 04:24:49 PM
Teresa,  does that include taking away the right to vote for women?  Washington and the other founders didn't think women should vote.
that isn't true, they believed that property owners should be the ones that voted.  It was originally tied into the land grants given.   THe restriction to land owners was  a major deterrent to those who would vote themselves largess from the treasury.  If you have something to lose you will take care of it and you will either vote for it as a necessary evil or vote against it. 
Best example of that was the past school building vote.  Land owners said hell no.  shrug. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

What? If my memory serves me, it is not land owners who have the only right to vote. Any citizen can vote if they are of voting age, have registered and reside in the district in which they are voting. There were a lot of land holders who could not vote in that election because they do not live here.

Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 16, 2010, 06:16:41 PM
What? If my memory serves me, it is not land owners who have the only right to vote. Any citizen can vote if they are of voting age, have registered and reside in the district in which they are voting. There were a lot of land holders who could not vote in that election because they do not live here.

you are right on that but the main thing was land holding.  Without the tie to voting you grant those who consume and do not have a stake in losing everything.   They own no property so they have no problem slapping a tax on anything and everything.  That is proven every year since they broke the tie between property and voting.

Property rights wer of major importance to the fathers.  SO much so they imbedded that into the constitution, by preventing the siezure of it unless it could be justified through the 5th amendment.   Property rights were also protected from being trampled through the 4th amendment. 

Diane Amberg

You do know that those politicians of old were rough customers when they wanted a vote to pass. They would go to no end of dirty tricks to keep certain key people from voting. Families were threatened, hostages were taken, blackmail was used. People were beaten up and kidnapped. Are you sure you want to return to that? It wasn't nearly as romantic as you might think.

Teresa

Things haven't changed much now have they Diane.. I've never romanticized Politics. But at least the founding fathers of that day were TRUE Americans... Not like who we have in the power of the offices today.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 20, 2010, 07:25:50 PM
You do know that those politicians of old were rough customers when they wanted a vote to pass. They would go to no end of dirty tricks to keep certain key people from voting. Families were threatened, hostages were taken, blackmail was used. People were beaten up and kidnapped. Are you sure you want to return to that? It wasn't nearly as romantic as you might think.
Yes i do.   It is far better than the slavery they instituted on us after lincoln. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk