George Blanda

Started by W. Gray, September 27, 2010, 06:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

George Blanda has died at age 83. That name may not strike a bell with many folks but he has the distinction of having played in the NFL in four decades.

Blanda signed with the Chicago Bears for $649 in the 1949 season. Playing for the Houston Oilers in 1961, he set a then record 36 touchdown passes. A year later he passed for 465 yards in one game. In 1967 he led the AFL in kicking with 116 points.

During his last five years in the NFL, he was a kicker for the hated Oakland Raiders. However, one could not help but admire him for still being able to kick. During this time he was also used sparingly as a a stand in quarterback.

In his last game for Oakland in the mid 70s, he kicked a 41 yard field goal.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, who were the "Hated Oakland Raiders" I remember the great, tough, good Oakland Raiders coached by the Great John Madden.

W. Gray

There is a web site titled "Why do you love or hate the Oakland Raiders?"  That probably describes it to a tee.

On the surface maybe a better word might have been "dreaded" rather than "hated."  But maybe not.

I was surprised when I moved to the Denver area thirty years ago that the Broncos fans had the same hated view of the Raiders. I thought only the Chiefs fans had such a dislike. The Denver media uses the word hated also but I think they all have a reserved respect for the men in black. But, that may not be true for the Raiders' owner who has been running the team operations almost from the Raiders beginning.

When Marcus Allen came to the Chiefs from Oakland he probably helped foment the situation by describing how badly he was treated by Al Smith, the raiders owner. It was my understanding that Allen refused to be inducted into the Football Hall of Fame as a Raider, although he had played almost his entire career there. He went in as a Chief.

Al Smith also stiffed Mike Shanahan from one year's salary before he came to the Broncos. The Denver media urged him to sue but he never did. Smith also stiffed Ken Stabler.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, do you mean Al Davis????????

W. Gray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk