Items from the Howard Citizen June 17, 1920

Started by frawin, September 21, 2010, 02:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I have been working on old Howard Newspapers for my scrapbboks and some of the items from June 17, 1920 that caught my eye were: " Arrangements have been perfected whereby Howard will very soon have a fine new filling station for motorists, erected by Kansas & Texas Oil Co, on the Jackson corner, North of the Howard National Bank." When I first remember this station in the 1940s it was a Soverign Service Station operated Ray Wucherpfenig and supplied by O&B Oil Company. It had hand pumps, the type where you pumped the Gasoline to the top of the pump and then it gravity flowed to your car.
Another interesting article from 1920" Holly Miller, the rural mail carrier is helping at Hottinger's new soda fountain, afternoon and evenings". Again when I remember Hottinger's in the 40s the soda fountain was not in service.

W. Gray

Frank, good news items.

Hottinger may have had to remove the soda fountain in order to have a place for the alligator(s).
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, the Soda Fountain was there, just not in operation. The 2 alligators hung in the very back of the drugstore, you could see them through the back window. The alligators were really dried out and rotting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk