THOMPSON, Thelma Lucille (McDonald) – b. March 16, 1915 – d. Sept. 1, 2010

Started by Marcia Moore, September 07, 2010, 08:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Thelma Lucille McDonald was born March 16, 1915 at Beulah, Kansas to Rev. Ernest William & Grace Estella (Barrett) McDonald.

She attended school at Severy, Kansas, graduating from Severy Rural High School with the Class of 1933.  She was a school teacher for many years, teaching at the Upper Paw Paw School in Elk County, as well as at Howard and Coffeyville.  
On June 4, 1950 she married Lester Thompson at Coffeyville, Kansas, and they spent their married life in Pittsburg, Kansas.  After his death, Thelma moved to Wichita, Kansas where she passed away on September 1, 2010 at the age of 95.  

Thelma had no survivors.  She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, and four sisters – Floy Ruth McDonald, Vera Pearl McDonald, Zula Gladys McDonald and Dorotha Crystal Kallail.

Graveside services were held on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at South Lawn Cemetery in Severy, Kansas.  Services were under the direction of Downing & Lahey Mortuary East of Wichita, Kansas.  A memorial has been established with Larksfield Health Care Center, 2828 North Governour, Wichita. Kansas.      

(Thelma was raised in the two-story farmhouse that sat 1/4 mile north of Severy on the northeast corner of the Hwy. 96 - Hwy. 99 junction.  The house, still in very good condition when it was torn down, was taken by the Hwy. 400 project.)

Janet Harrington

I remember that house.  Don't remember her, but remember the house.  So, was she related to the McDonald's from Elk County?

Marcia Moore

No, she wasn't related.  The McDonalds were one of the earliest families to ever settle at Severy, coming here in 1879 – a year before the town even came into existence.  Thelma's grandfather, Nathan Smith McDonald, was one of the first doctors at Severy.  Thelma's dad, Ernest William, was a Methodist preacher.  Thelma's parents had five daughters.  Only two of them ever married - Thelma and Crystal - and neither of them had any children.  Thelma's four sisters were (1) Floy Ruth, born Oct. 17, 1905 and died Jan. 6, 1989 (2) Vera Pearl, born Oct. 26, 1907 and died Apr. 16, 1995; (3) Zula Gladys, born Jan. 9, 1910 and died May 28, 1997, and (4) Dorotha Crystal, born Sept. 30, 1913 and died June 22, 2002. 
     Esther McDivitt, who ran the Severyite, was a first cousin to Thelma, and Esther had no children, either.  Esther's father, Smith Forest McDonald, also a doctor at Severy, was a son of Nathan Smith McDonald, Thelma's grandfather.

flo

I remember Mr. McDonald walking to church in Severy each Sunday Morning.  Many times when my dad was coming to see us girls, would stop and bring him on to church.  He was a very nice gentleman.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Jo McDonald

Dr. McDonald was practicing in Severy in 1935. My Grandparents, Grant and Minna Fiscus lived there.  My brother Jack, was pushing Grandpa's rotary lawn mower, cutting his lawn.  My sister Helen,- 3 years old at the time, ran up and put her hands on the frame of the lawn mower, and put her little hand too far down and the blade cut off the end of her middle finger.  Dr. McDonald was the Dr. that took care of her.  Jack took the end of her finger to Mama and she took it to the Dr. office, but there was no reconnecting it, at that time in medical age.  Now it would be reattached, and would be just like "new".
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

I had forgotten about Spot Fiscus.  Remember him, Jo?  He was janitor at the Severy school when my kids started.  Wasn't he your uncle?

frawin

Spot was married to my uncle's sister, Anna Bohon.  They were both lovely people.  We always called them Aunt and Uncle, even though they were really not relatives.  Anna was a super kind person, and Spot was always looking out for the kids around the schools!!!! 

Myrna

Jo McDonald

I loved Uncle Spot and Aunt Anna SO VERY MUCH !!!!

Yes, they were both special people.

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk