Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, July 26, 2010, 07:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Marcia, I have some pictures of that side of the street that were taken around 1900, I will dig them out and blow them up and see if I can see anything that would help.

W. Gray

Well, I do not know, that is why I used the word seems and put the question mark on the end.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Sharon Hillis

The obituary of my husband's great grandfather J. F. "Frank" Hillis from the Howard Courant Vol XXIV Friday, March 23, 1894, pg 3, Column 2 says, "J.F. Hillis of Paw Paw, died at Galena, Wednesday night of this week, the 21st.  He started in a wagon for Arkansas several days ago, but was taken sick with fever at Galena.  Mr. Hillis built the Bruce Building, the first stone house in Howard in 1876.  He was county commissioner in 1887-89 and was a good citizen."

Sharon Hillis

In an interview with Ozella Cox in 1991, she stated that her father, Roy Hillis, told her that her grandfather, J. F. Hillis built the building that housed the bank, located on Washington & Wabash.  Does anyone know when it was built?  Thanks.

W. Gray

Here is a cut and paste from a November 2009 post.

From the Elk County Ledger (Howard City), May 5, 1877:

"There are entirely too many hogs running at large in town, for the comfort of the people who don't own them. We don't believe any citizen has a right, either legal or moral, to raise hogs at the expense, inconvenience and discomfort of his neighbor."

"All necessary blanks have been received and the Elk County Bank is now prepared to do any and all kinds of banking business. The members of the firm, Messrs. Momma & Eby, are well known to our community as gentlemen of enterprise and good business talent. They will succeed."

The Elk County Bank was located on the first floor below the second story Opera House where Cookson's Hardware is now. The bank eventually became the Elk County State Bank and then the Howard National Bank locating in a new stone building on the southeast corner of Washington and Wabash streets in 1886.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk