Beck's Rally.....

Started by redcliffsw, August 31, 2010, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshillbillys

There has been, and will continue to be, much debate about whether or not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) are Christian. This list gives several reasons why Mormons are Christian with supporting scriptures, quotes, and links to more in depth articles.
1. Christ is Head of Mormon Church
Christus of Jesus Christ; Rachel WoodsEverything we teach and everything we do is to bring us unto Jesus Christ. He is the Son of God and all our beliefs and doctrines focus on Him as our Savior and Redeemer. He is the head of our church (see Ephesians 5:23), which many people refer to as "Mormons" but that is only a nickname. The proper name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

When the Nephites disputed what to call the church, Christ said:
"And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses' name then it be Moses' church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel" (3 Nephi 27:8).

2. Faith in Jesus Christ
Faith in Jesus Christ; Josef Untersberger; Public DomainMormons are Christian because we have faith in Jesus Christ, which is the first principle of our gospel. (See Article of Faith #4). Faith in Christ is the first step necessary to bring us unto him, even if we start with just a small hope in Christ, that hope can develop into faith in Him.
"As many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal" (Helaman 8:15).
3. Prophets Preach of Christ
Prophet Joseph Smith; public domainMormons are Christian because all our prophets, apostles, and leaders preach and testify of Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith, the first prophet of these latter-days, along with Sydney Rigdon preach of Christ:
"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

"For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—" (D&C 76:22-23).
For a signed testimony bearing witness of the reality of Jesus Christ see THE LIVING CHRIST: The Testimony of the Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
4. Scriptures Witness of Christ
Mormon Scriptures; Public DomainAll our scriptures teach and witness of the divinity of Christ. The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, states:
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ..."

"And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out" (2 Nephi 25:26,29).
All the scriptures teach of Christ and warn against Satan who teaches us to deny Christ and His words.
5. Mormons Act in the Name of Christ
Baptism of Christ; ReflectionsofChrist.orgThrough the restoration of Christ's priesthood, righteous Mormons are authorized to act in His name. Some of the ordinances performed in the name of Jesus Christ are:
•Baptism
•Confirmation and Gift of the Holy Ghost
•Temple Endowment
•Marriage Sealings
The words of the baptismal prayer show how Mormons are Christian when Christ himself taught:
"Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them.

"And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying:

"Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

"And then shall ye immerse them in the water, and come forth again out of the water" (3 Nephi 11:23-26)
6. Holy Ghost Testifies of Christ
Representation of Holy Ghost; Public DomainAfter a person is baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ, they are confirmed a member of the Church and are given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Before and after baptism a person can know through the Holy Ghost (the Spirit) that Christ is the Son of God:
"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me" (John 15:26).

"And the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me..." (3 Nephi 28:11).

"To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world" (D&C 46:13).
The testimony of Christ is vital to one's salvation, a necessary aspect of faith and repentance.
7. Mormons Believe in Atonement of Christ
Crucifixion of Christ; Public DomainOne of the accusations stating that Mormons aren't Christian is because we don't use the symbol of the cross and thus we don't believe in His Atonement. As Christians we do believe in the Atonement of Jesus Christ. including His death on the cross, and that it is central to our salvation. Without Christ's suffering, death, and resurrection we could not be saved from both physical and spiritual death.

Instead of focusing on the cross to remember Christ's death we choose to focus on the fact that Christ was resurrected and now lives.

Many of our beliefs are different from that of other religions, which we respect, but we are Christians. Although we are called Mormons, we are actually disciples of Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God.

It's hardly a cult, with 13.8 million members worldwide.
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Anmar

I don't believe that they are a cult.  But if you think that 14 million people is cause to be elevated from cult status, then you shouldn't be calling Islam a cult either.

Personally, I believe that mormans are christians.  But unfortunately, that is not the viewpoint of the christian right.  I made those points to expose the hypocrisy of the extremist right.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

Quote from: Anmar on August 31, 2010, 08:10:44 PM
My point is, you consider yourself to be this super patriot, uber conservative, evangelical christian.  Yet here you are, in the face of you're own party, defending someone who belongs to what your religous leaders call "a cult of satan" and is employed by an australian jew and a muslim saudi prince.  To top it all off, he is one of the biggest proponents of the fake "tea party" movement and it kills me to say this, but I agree with the article Red posted.  This rally may be possibly the lowest point so far for the conservative movement. 

First of all, MY only "religous" leader is Christ.  I try and follow Him and His teachings and His Word.  He, by the way, was a Jew.  I don't care about who "employs" Beck.  It is the point that he is making that is important, mainly, that this country needs to return to the principles that it was founded upon.  Fake tea party??  Whats so fake about it? 

QuoteWhile I'm at it, you sir, are the epitome of the problem.  You don't understand whats going on.  You just want to be angry and hateful, but you are really missing the big issues.  You are easily led and your emotions are easily controlled.  Do you really think any of the politicians give a damn about a mosque in NYC?  Do you honestly believe that your elected representatives want to stop illegal workers (cheap labor) from coming to the US?  Do you really think that republicans will ever do anything to ban abortion?

Holy crap!!  Are you really so dense as to have missed the point of what I've said on here countless times?  I KNOW politicans don't care about those things, and have said so many times.  I have also said that it isn't about Repub.s or Dems. 

QuoteYou are getting scammed, robbed, your children are having their futures destroyed and our country is turning into a third world nation.  Here in Oakland, in the nations second most dangerous city, they had to lay off 80 cops.  One of my clients that I consult for owns a convenience store that gets robbed every other day by the same thug.  When they call the cops, they say they don't respond to petty theft anymore, that my client has to file a police report online.  In many cities, they are turning off street lights at night.  All across the midwest, they are turning paved roads into gravel roads because they can't afford the upkeep.  And what do the republicans want you to think is important, a mosque in NYC?  Get a clue.

Getting Scammed and robbed...no shit Enstien.  More so in the past 17 months than at any other time in our history.  And it isn't just the Repub.s that are saying the mosque is important issue, it is thousands of everyday, normal american citizens.  Are those other issues you mentioned important?...absolutely.  But they're only going to get worse if the Dem.s continue to bow down to obama and his admistration and their agenda.

QuoteYou know he apologized for calling Obama a racist?  He also said Obama's faith was a perversion of christianity, but Varmit, you say the same thing about Beck's faith, so whats your deal?  You are actually closer to Obama in faith than you are to Beck.
So thats my bit, now why don't you man up and tell us all what your point is.

Do I agree with all of Becks religious beliefs?...No.  Beck apologized for calling obama a racist?..what does that have to do with anything?  Closer to obama in faith?...Since you think you know so much about me explain this one? 
I have been telling my point since I started posting on this forum.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 31, 2010, 09:20:50 PM
I don't believe that they are a cult.  But if you think that 14 million people is cause to be elevated from cult status, then you shouldn't be calling Islam a cult either.

Personally, I believe that mormans are christians.  But unfortunately, that is not the viewpoint of the christian right.  I made those points to expose the hypocrisy of the extremist right.
They are a cult as well as islam.  The Bible itself reveals those doctrines that are essential to the Christian faith.  They are 1) the Deity of Christ, 2) Salvation by Grace, and 3) Resurrection of Christ, 4) the gospel, and 5) monotheism.  These are the doctrines the Bible says are necessary.  Though there are many other important doctrines, these five are the ones that are declared by Scripture to be essential.  A non-regenerate person (i.e., Mormon or Jehovah's Witness, atheist, Muslim), will deny one or more of these essential doctrines.

There are doctrines that become essential too, for example belief in trinity after one becomes saved but there is no penalty associated with it. It becomes essential because it is absolute truth and a essential chistian teaching that cannot be denied.

Because Mormonism denies the biblical truth of who God is, who Jesus is, how forgiveness of sins is attained, and what the gospel is, the Mormon is not Christian -- in spite of all his claims that he is Christian.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

The church had already been formed 2000 years ago and it did not die out in the Dark Ages.
Mormonism isn't but a couple hundred years old and it's simply not a real church.
Srkruzich- You've made some excellent points there.

Six- you don't agree with me.  The ethicsdaily.com and Baptist Center for Ethics are organizations or parachurch.
They have no standing in a church.  Looks more like a group of liberals who can not improve the church or this world.

srkruzich

Quote from: redcliffsw on September 01, 2010, 08:05:38 AM
The church had already been formed 2000 years ago and it did not die out in the Dark Ages.
Mormonism isn't but a couple hundred years old and it's simply not a real church.
Srkruzich- You've made some excellent points there.
That is a generic description of a cult only problem it doesn't address the 4000 year old cults like buddism, ect. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

Yes Sir.  Thanks for pointing out that one.

Wilma

What is the point here?  Don't we still have Freedom of Religion under the Constitution?  And doesn't Freedom of Religion include worshiping whoever, whatever, whenever, wherever we want?  Wait a minute.  Is that Freedom of Religion or Freedom to Worship?  Seems I need to do some research.

Wilma

OK, it is Freedom of Religion and it seems to me that Christianity is not the only religion in the world.  Mormonism and Islam is as much a religion as Christianity is.  Would I become a Mormon?  No.  Would I become an Islamist?  No.  Why?  Because I am happy with what I am.  And because I am a Christian and an American, I am not going to deny anyone the right to believe the way they want.  Neither am I going to denigrate their religions.  After all, God is above all of them.

Anmar

So how are you going to follow a christian revolution being led by someone who you believe isn't a christian?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk