Grenola, 582
Howard, 1,062
Longton, 548
Oak Valley, 190
Moline, 618
Miles of railroad in county, 64
Number of dogs in county, 1,569

Tenth Biennial Report of the Kansas State Board of Agriculture, 1895 and 1896
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

twirldoggy

Ms Bear

One the Kansas State Agriculture Census that was done between the Federal Census it did ask about how many acres the person owned or rented, how many acres were being farmed, how many were pastures, how many of different animals the farmer was raising, how many sheep were killed by dogs or coyotes the previous year and how many dogs did the farmer have.

In a picture I have of my greatgrandparents in either Elk or Greenwood County in 1905 or 1906 there are several family members and most of the women are holding babies or young children and my greatgrandmother, Sarah Taylor was holding a dog.  I wish I had known her.

sixdogsmom

Edie

Diane Amberg

Yup, more dogs than people. Does Kansas still do an Ag. census like that?

W. Gray

Other animal statistics of the same year,

Horses, 9,286 (93 died that year)
Mules, 1,703 (12 died that year)
Milk cows, 6,032 (59)
Other cattle, 19,777 (120)
Sheep, 320  (1)
Swine, 20,131 (573)
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

If I remember right we had to pay one dollar tax for each dog back in the late 50's----maybe early 60"s. Maybe my dad just shook me down for that buck for a tax on Tippy. I know that's not a macho name for a dog but we got him from Greatguns family and he was already stuck with that moniker. You remember Tippy Guns ?

larryJ

AND THAT WHY MY DOG IS CALLED:

R.A.M.B.O.

;D

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jarhead

David

Quote from: jarhead on August 20, 2010, 08:52:37 PM
If I remember right we had to pay one dollar tax for each dog back in the late 50's----maybe early 60"s. Maybe my dad just shook me down for that buck for a tax on Tippy. I know that's not a macho name for a dog but we got him from Greatguns family and he was already stuck with that moniker. You remember Tippy Guns ?
Nothing wrong with Tippy.  I once had a dog named Moose after the Archie comics, he was a good Dog as I am sure Tippy was.  The Dog I have now is Apache a female cattle dog.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk