US Park Police Order Students to Quit Singing National Athem at Lincoln Memorial

Started by W. Gray, August 09, 2010, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Discretion is surely the way to go. Behavior standards in public places have changed so much that people will do and say things now that wouldn't have been thought of years ago. It's also a matter of the comparisons people insist on making. If you let THEM break the rules by doing "A" why can't I do "B?"   It's a shame those nice kids got caught up in that and perhaps some rules might be changed because of it. But as of right now, inside the memorial and on the steps, silence is the watchword and if you've ever been there, you just can't help a feeling of quiet awe and peace.  Most people stop to read the Gettysburg address and the second inaugural speech that are on the walls of the two side chambers. Singing the Lords Prayer, a personal favorite of mine, wouldn't be allowed either.

Roma Jean Turner

I guess my spitting on the bust of Harry Truman at the state capitol building in Jefferson City, Mo when I was four, in todays world, would have me in Juvenille Detention under the custody of DFS and my Mom and StepDad would probably have been led out in handcuffs for some kind of something.  (Instead they only had to go through the momentary embarrasement of watching it happen in front of the entire guided tour...Ha, ha.)   What can I say,  Grandma and Grandad said they didn't like Harry Truman...so I just threw in my two cents worth.

jarhead

Shame on you Roma Jean. If I told you Sarge slobbered all over Bess Truman's bust you would call him a sick puppy !! :)

Sarge

the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

twirldoggy

I have been to the Lincoln Memorial but it was before any such rules as silence were made. One just walked up and looked at it. 

Varmit

If silence is the watchword why would they allow groups to hold rallies, demonstrations and such on the steps of the memorial?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

twirldoggy

Another question:  Do rules of silence also apply to other memorials such as Madison, Washington, etc.?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk