Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Elk County, Kansas, airport
Established 1946
Two runways, numbers 18 and 36
Two planes based at the airport
Average of 50 operations monthly
2,510 foot runway

As a kid, I seem to recall either activity or several planes sitting at the airport every time we drove by. I don't recall seeing a plane there in the last twenty years, or so, as I drove by.

A relative had a minor crackup at the airport in the 50's.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/2K6

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

In 2008, the Kansas Department of Transportation recommended $2,760,200 in upgrade maintenance be applied the Elk County airport.

Another landing strip in Elk County is at the Eagle Head ranch, which is apparently now the Liebau ranch airstrip with a 2200 foot runway that parallels one of the county roads.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Another landing strip in Elk County is of 2300 feet at the Bar P Ranch.

Ole Granny

I remember my Dad flying a Piper Cub.  Have a picture somewhere of him in the plane.  I was very young but do remember him showing me our house in Moline and seeing our Pine tree in the front yard from the plane.   
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Catwoman

I have ridden in a Piper Cub...Quite the little plane...

jensarlou

Waldo, My ex-father-in-law Ralph Roggow kept his Cessna there for some time from the late 90's till around '04 or so before he and JoAnn moved back to South Dakota.  I can't say for certain if he still has it or not but he stored it in the hanger there on the west side of the runway.  I took my kids out there numerous times while we still lived in Howard.  Only ever saw 1 other plane other than his there in the years that we lived there though.
Andrea

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk