ROYSE, M. Ruth (Osborn) - b. Feb. 22, 1922- d. Aug. 7, 2010

Started by patyrn, August 07, 2010, 09:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

M. Ruth (Osborn) (Sherman) (Wiltfong) Royse, age 88, of Elk Falls, Kansas, died Saturday, August 7, 2010 at the Golden Living Center in Neodesha, Kansas. Ruth was born February 22, 1922 in Elk Falls, Kansas, the daughter of Frank Byron and Lucy May (Small) Osborn.

After high school, Ruth attended Emporia State Teachers College in 1939.  In 1940, she started teaching grades 1-8 at Lone Star School just north of Oak Valley, Kansas.  In 1961, Ruth received her Bachelor's Degree in Education from Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas.  She continued to teach in Elk County and in Severy, Kansas.

In 1974, Ruth started teaching Special Education classes.  In 1977 she received her M.S. in Psychology at Emporia State and continued teaching special education classes until retirement in 1984.  After retirement, Ruth returned to teaching in specialty areas of education helping students receive their G.E.D., tutoring, and teaching Psychology courses for Independence Community College.

Ruth was a member of the Elk Falls United Methodist Church since 1941, Alpha Tau Delta Kappa Gamma, Retired Teachers Association, and Order of Eastern Star receiving her 25-year pin.  In 1946, Ruth married Henry Charles Sherman in Elk Falls.  They were married until his death in 1961.  In 1963, she married Wesley I. Wiltfong, and they were married until his death in 1978.  In 1982, she married George A. Royse in Springfield, Colorado. They were married for twenty years until his death in 2002. 

Ruth is survived by her daughter, Lyneva Bryan and husband Steve of Herington, Kansas; four stepchildren, Ethel Holloway of Elkhart, Indiana, Mildred Beiter of South Coffeyville, Oklahoma, Jean Miller of Lee's Summit, Missouri, and Norma Jean Graves of Independence, Kansas; a brother, Neil Osborn and wife Phyllis of Elk Falls, Kansas; eleven grandchildren, Jeremy Bryan of Orlando, Florida, Jennifer Bryan of Goddard, Kansas, Justin Bryan of Salina, Kansas, Rick Graves and Valorie Allen, both of Owasso, Oklahoma, Amanda Molen of Fishers, Indiana, Laura Holloway of Indianapolis, Indiana, Sandra Cook of Longmont, Colorado, Kristi Payne of Tyler, Texas, Kathy Graves and Travis Miller, both of Lee's Summit, Missouri, and eleven great-grandchildren.

Ruth was preceded in death by her parents; three husbands; two sons, Virgil Eli Sherman and Charles Franklin Sherman; and her sister, Neva Lea Barnaby.

Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, August 12, 2010 at the Longton United Methodist Church in Longton, Kansas with Pastor Dena Allison officiating.  Interment will follow at the Elk Falls Cemetery.  Visitation will be Wednesday, August 11, 2010 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas 67349.  The family suggests memorial contributions to the Longton City Library and can be mailed to the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are entrusted to Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, P.O. Box 1233, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Catwoman

Ruth Royse was a wonderful, wonderful lady.  My condolances go out to her family.   :'(

Janet Harrington

Aw, shucks.  I loved Ruth Royse.  She was my psychology teacher for Independence Community College.  I took that class at West Elk.  Loved her as a teacher and as a friend.  She was a teacher to the very soul of her being.  She helped adults get their GED and I bellieve she told me that she tutored students in Longton even though she was not employed as a teacher any longer.  George was still alive for that conversation.  She was a wonderful, wonderful lady.  God bless her and her entire family.

Marcia Moore

Ruth was my psychology teacher for Independence Community College, too.  I took that class at Longton and learned so much from her.  She was a very nice lady and a very good teacher.  

frawin

I never went to school to Ruth, but always thought she was a nice person.  Lyneva brought her to the Elk Falls Reunion on Memorial weekend, and she really enjoyed seeing family and long-time friends.  I believe Lyneva told me that Ruth taught school for 43 years.  We will miss seeing her next year when the Elk Falls reunion gathers again.
Myrna

cheyronni

How sad Ruth was a wonderful lady. She tutored Cheyenne when she was having trouble in school and did it for free! Cheyenne insisted that she get a gift for Ruth and she picked out two goldfish and told her that their names were Ruth and George!! They got a good laugh out of that!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk