Christian student fights for her beliefs

Started by Varmit, July 23, 2010, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Quote from: pamagain on July 23, 2010, 07:31:01 AM
no it doesn't......it DOES however require empathy for the situation of the person you are counseling.

I am on BOTH sides in this.........and before you jump down my throat....read what I say and think about it for a minute.

I agree with the student in that her religious beliefs have absolutely nothin to do with getting her education and the school has absolutely no right to make her do anything against her conscience.

I agree with the school on the level that they are trying to teach her a lesson about something good counselors have to do which is accept the person you are counseling as they are and go from there. You can't give someone the help they need if you are busy judging them.
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~~Mother Teresa~~ and that is what a counselor is for isnt it?

I would love to comment on this thread but, I can't since I'm a Donor of UGA... both of my children and wife graduated from the University of Georgia.  I worked for UGA after retirement from the fed and took a number of graduate courses.  All I can say is that Pam's quote makes alot of sense.  You have to look at both sides in this rather sad situation.

Damn... did I just comment ???

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Varmit

Tdub, I don't mean this in a hateful way, but I don't think it is possible for christians (at least me anyway) and homosexuals to have "mutally beneficial dialogue."  In general, gays may be "good" people but I don't agree with their pushing their ideals on the traditions and values that have stood in this country since its beginning.

As for the NAMBLA thing goes, maybe the homosexual community as a whole doesn't support it, I'll give you that.  And I apologize for my last post, admittedly, it was uncalled for.  

Pam, do you see any stories about gays or whoever being forced to attend any religious services?  No, because it isn't happening.  As for people being exposed to different things the same can be said for christians.  THEY aren't insulated against things they don't agree with.

As for the jehovah witnesses, I don't much care for their viewpoint either.  When they come here I tell them that I will allow them to talk about ideas as long as they allow me to tell them the Truth.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

twirldoggy

There are many counselors of different belief systems who counsel Christians.  In my work at KU there was a course entitled "Spirituality and Social Work Practice".  It was taught by a Native American and it was well attended and one that
students liked.   At that time counselors were being encouraged to talk about spiritual issues with clients who wanted to discuss the issues with them.  The counselor was to fully reveal their belief system to the client and then attempt to the best of their ability to discuss the issue.  

The alternative is to refer the person to an expert: an expert in their own belief system.  According to accreditation standards large hospitals maintain lists of people who speak different languages and have religious beliefs that they can discuss with critically ill people.  For example if a Hindu who speaks just a little English comes to a hospital with a critical illness there will be a person on a list who they can call to talk with the patient.  They may not be a licensed counselor but they can at least talk with the patient.  Another example is the Native American who come to the hospital and wants another Native American to perform healing rituals.

Accreditation standards say that patients spiritual needs are part of holistic treatment and that hospitals need to be prepared to deal with these issues.  Not all hospitals can do this because there are not enough volunteers in the community.

tdub

Varmit - fair enough.
I respect your beliefs and your right to have them.

pamagain

QuotePam, do you see any stories about gays or whoever being forced to attend any religious services?

Not happening? Haven't you heard of the "reprogramming" camps people can force their kids to go to to "heal" them from being gay? I don't even know any gay people at the moment but I have.

QuoteAs for the jehovah witnesses, I don't much care for their viewpoint either.  When they come here I tell them that I will allow them to talk about ideas as long as they allow me to tell them the Truth.

Well Varmit...y'see....... I don't care about their viewpoint one way or the other.....I would never be rude to somebody who came to my house. Not unless THEY were. I read those books years ago when I got em the first time....they don't "speak" to me. I will talk to damn near ANYbody about anyTHING long as they are civil about it. They are just doin the job they think God WANTS em to do so who am I to keep em from gettin their brownie points? Kinda the same way I feel about you gettin YOUR brownie points LOL

now I really AM tired of all the religious stuff so if you want to have the last word after this knock yourself out budreau :) My spiritual views are not the same as yours except on the most basic level it sounds like so Go.....live your life....be happy LOL I have had a pretty nice day putterin around the place and I REALLY don't want to lose the pleasant mood it gave me :)

Varmit

Quote from: pamagain on July 24, 2010, 04:29:47 PM
Not happening? Haven't you heard of the "reprogramming" camps people can force their kids to go to to "heal" them from being gay? I don't even know any gay people at the moment but I have.

No. Pam its not happening.  Do you see any other colleges or schools forcing gays to attend religious services that speak against homosexuality? 
As for the "reprogramming camps", that is a whole different story.  A parent has the right to send their kids wherever they want.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk