Christian student fights for her beliefs

Started by Varmit, July 23, 2010, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Christian student fights for her beliefs
Bill Bumpas - OneNewsNow - 7/22/2010 12:25:00 PM

A counseling student has filed suit against a university in Georgia because she claims the school is forcing her to abandon her Christian beliefs in order to receive a degree.

Jennifer Keeton, 24, is pursuing her master's degree in counseling at Augusta State University. But after her professors learned of her biblical beliefs -- specifically her views on homosexual conduct -- from both classroom discussions and private conversations with other students, the school imposed a "remediation plan."

"It's in essence [telling her] 'you do not have the correct beliefs, we are going to re-educate you into the correct beliefs,'" explains David French, senior counsel with the Alliance Defense Fund. "And unless she completes this -- quote -- 'remediation plan' to their satisfaction, then she can be thrown out of [the school's counseling program]."

French tells OneNewsNow there are some absurd elements to the plan. "Such as admonishing her to go to -- quote -- a 'gay-pride parade' and write about her feelings after she's been," he describes. "In other words, [the school's plan would be] deliberately exposing her to behavior that she finds immoral in the hope that she'll accept it. It's ridiculous."

French calls it "pure thought reform" and accuses Augusta State of outlining "a program of indoctrination" for Keeton.

"Jennifer is not interested in being indoctrinated, she wants to be educated," states the attorney. "She wants to learn about the counseling profession, she wants to be a good counselor -- but being a good counselor does not require that one surrender their most fundamental religious beliefs."

And so French says Keeton is filing suit [PDF] to get the school to respect her First Amendment rights. "A public university student shouldn't be threatened with expulsion for being a Christian and refusing to publicly renounce her faith, but that's exactly what's happening here," he concludes.

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pamagain

Quotebut being a good counselor does not require that one surrender their most fundamental religious beliefs."

no it doesn't......it DOES however require empathy for the situation of the person you are counseling.

I am on BOTH sides in this.........and before you jump down my throat....read what I say and think about it for a minute.

I agree with the student in that her religious beliefs have absolutely nothin to do with getting her education and the school has absolutely no right to make her do anything against her conscience.

I agree with the school on the level that they are trying to teach her a lesson about something good counselors have to do which is accept the person you are counseling as they are and go from there. You can't give someone the help they need if you are busy judging them.
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~~Mother Teresa~~ and that is what a counselor is for isnt it?

Am I making myself clear or just opening myself up for another pissin match about whos the "Christian"? Cause that is NOT what I was tryin to do.  I don't see it as making her abandon her religious beliefs even if that IS at the heart of what the professor is after on a certain level..........realizing that you are going to have to deal with people who differ from yourself both in religious belief or NONbelief for that matter....people who live different lifestyles that you dont agree with if you go for a career as a counselor is actually a GOOD wake-up call in my opinion.......if you are not strong enough in your faith...no matter WHAT it is to withstand bein exposed to other ways maybe you need to examine yourSELF instead of the person trying to show you said other viewpoints. That is just MY take on it though.

(standin up grittin my teeth )

Mom70x7

Anmar

"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

I agree Pam...to a point.  As a counseler a person needs to have an idea of where the other person is coming from. 

That being said, I feel the school is wrong in that they don't apply this same policy across the board.  They're not forcing gay students to attend religious services that teach against homosexuaity.

To me, it seems that the school targeted her specifically.  Thats discrimination no matter how you cut it.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

twirldoggy

Professional counselors who have to obtain licenses in most states must be able to talk with anyone about anything.  They work in clinics  and private practice situations ( as well as other situations).  While in graduate school the counselor is "desensitized "  by certain of the professors to be able to do this.  I suspect this is why the student was sent to a gay pride meeting.  The school is not telling her to abandon her belief system.  The school is trying to educate her to be a competant counselor and to be at ease in any situation in which she is involved as a professional counselor. 

I attended graduate school (72 difficult hours)  at KU.  There were many, and I do mean many, young people there who were conservative Christians.  They were never confronted about their belief systems.  We had one class named "Clinical and Social Judgement".  In this class many of the young people discussed their beliefs and their wishes to work with people in Christian institutions.  Their talk about their sincere beliefs was welcomed in the class by a very wise professor. 

As an example:  a psychologist had to be present and interview BTK in order to give a report to the court about his mental state. As repugnant as this might be, the psychologist maintains a professional demeanor and reports the facts about BTK's mental state regardless of his or her personal feelings or Christian beliefs about the behaviors of BTK.

Varmit

Quote from: twirldoggy on July 23, 2010, 05:39:33 PM
Professional counselors who have to obtain licenses in most states must be able to talk with anyone about anything.  They work in clinics  and private practice situations ( as well as other situations).  While in graduate school the counselor is "desensitized "  by certain of the professors to be able to do this.  I suspect this is why the student was sent to a gay pride meeting.  The school is not telling her to abandon her belief system.  The school is trying to educate her to be a competant counselor and to be at ease in any situation in which she is involved as a professional counselor. 

Competant counselor?..Counsel someone according to Scripture and you can't go wrong. 

Again, why isn't the school using these same requirements on their atheist students, gay students, etc? 

jerry wagner

Quote from: Varmit on July 23, 2010, 05:49:06 PM
Competant counselor?..Counsel someone according to Scripture and you can't go wrong. 

Again, why isn't the school using these same requirements on their atheist students, gay students, etc? 

Except that the counselor would be insensitive to any other belief system and likely would try to foist their beliefs on the individual being counseled.

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on July 23, 2010, 05:50:50 PM
Except that the counselor would be insensitive to any other belief system and likely would try to foist their beliefs on the individual being counseled.

Then why isn't the school foisting this on the other religious beliefs.  Again they don't require athiests to go to a baptist revival.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

twirldoggy

Licesed professional counselors, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers voluntarily undergo classes to learn their professions. 
They pay huge amounts of money and give up many things in life to learn.  There are atheist students, gay students and many other personal belief systems and lifestyles just as there are in any professional training.  Some students do get angry, upset and embarassed about things that happen in class.  It is a part of learning and a part of becoming a professional. There is a difference between one's personal beliefs and actions and the actions taken in professional situations.  One learns early on how to differentiate and how to conduct oneself in the way that the profession dictates. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk