Oil Spill

Started by Wilma, July 01, 2010, 05:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

I hate to admit it, but as far as shielding, those two are pretty much correct. (But if you are expecting the clouds to shield you from the sun's radiation you are asking for a bad sun burn, which is indeed a radiation burn.)  Still don't want to jump to bombing the sea floor with anything too soon, too many unknowns and variables in very deep water.
There are several types of radiation. Some are easier to shield than others. Some aren't a problem unless a person is exposed many times, hence the lead apron shield in the dentist office etc. (I used to teach a whole block on that in EMT class.) Your shirt is protection from the minute amount in smoke detectors and a life time's exposure won't hurt you.  Same with irradiating foods for shelf storage.The radiation goes through, it doesn't stay on the food, so there is no exposure to the purchaser.

jarhead

You throw a quarter stick of TNT in the river, you get a boat load of fish. You blow a nuke in the ocean and------------------------gotta go----ol Sarge and me are taking our filet knives and heading to the Gulf !!!!

Diane Amberg

HA! Just check for pollution before ya eat 'em. ;D ;D ;D ;D That stuff out there isn't cooking oil!

jarhead

Not a problem Diane. Ol Sarge and me both like "blackened fish ".

Anmar

The action on handling this whole thing has been slow all around.  They say the relief well will be finished in a few weeks.  I bet that by the time they prepared the area for a tactical nuke, it wouldn't make a difference.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Diane Amberg

Now it seems the oil has broken through to Lake Pontchartrain.That's really tough to take.The lake was off limits for so long after Katrina and now this? Oh, my.

Wilma

Another question.  Crude oil is measured in barrels, right?  Why, then, are the reports we get on how much has been spilled in the Gulf given in gallons?

frawin

Wilma they measure in gallons to make the publicity more dramatic. Noone measures Crude oil in Gallons, crude oil is measured in 42 gallon barrels  or in Metric tons.

Wilma

That is just what I thought.  So many barrels doesn't sound as bad as 42 times that in gallons does.  So we are still being manipulated by the media into thinking that things seem to be the way they want us to see it.  What should we believe, who should we believe?

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on July 20, 2010, 04:59:16 PM
Another question.  Crude oil is measured in barrels, right?  Why, then, are the reports we get on how much has been spilled in the Gulf given in gallons?
to make it seem worse.  Its all about perception.  It sounds a whole lot worse to hear 4,000,000 gallons than 1,000,000 barrels.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk