tomato

Started by Delbert, June 19, 2010, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

Picked and ate my first tomato yesterday.   Sorry I didn't share it with you.  Also have been picking tame blackberries, dewberries, and a few boysenberries.  Beets, beets. and more beets.  Stayed tuned for further news.

Wilma

Ah, beets.  Nice red beets.  The memories I have of the cooking, peeling, etc., required to make them into beet pickles.  Actually, the memories are of helping my mother.  And they end just before the actual adding the sugar, vinegar and spices.  I can't make decent pickles, so I always canned mine in a sugar vinegar syrup, then they were ready for anything.

frawin

We picked our first bell peppers around Memorial Daya weekend.  It was nice just to go to the garden and get them to fix the salads I needed to make for basket dinners.  Got our first tomato around June 10.  They are so sweet and juicy.  Have had BLT's 2 or 3 times, other sandwiches, and just plain sliced tomatoes.  Nothing like fresh garden produce right from your backyard!
Myrna

Judy Harder

You eat some for me. I planted 2 tomato plants and they are growing well...............if a tall leggy plant is what we all want.
Not a bloom one, on either of them.
They are not same kind. One was given to me when I bought my plants at Twiggs and the other one i bought from WalMart after all the cold spells were over. Mr Twigg didn't know what the tomato was he gave me, last one in the green house and the one from Wallmart was either a lazy boy or girl but one of the better producers.

I also have cukes and one green pepper plant and except for a few blooms on the cukes, I am just growing green stuff.
Guess I will have to wait till people start begging me to take some produce off their hands.

My mouth is ready for any and all of it. Ok, I pass on turnips and parsnips, etc. But any squash or tomato or cukes.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Ms Bear

And here we sit, drooling.  I even killed the Gerber daisies that were already blooming.  Decided to give up.  Today I have a flat on the new lawnmower tire, have to get someone to take it off and take it back for remounting.  Almost had all of the yard mowed finally.

Sherri

I love to garden.....I have had califlower, broccoli and new potatoes out of my gardens.  I have had bunches of fresh strawberries and have put several in the freezer.  Now my strawberries are done bearing fruit and are now making lots and lots of babies for next year.  They look amazing.  I have lots of tomatoes on the vines but non are ripe yet and I my cow peas and my japaneese okra is up....My Daddy would be proud of my gardens....now if we could just get our darn grass to come up that we have planted for the 2nd time and are watering like crazy.....
SMILE AND EVERYONE SMILES WITH YOU!!!!

Delbert

Plant the grass this fall as it is too hot on new grass. 

Teresa

Not "would be" sister... He IS proud..
He's there every time you are in that garden .. he is strolling right along next to you ..prodding you to do what you need to do.  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Sherri

I know you are right sister......Our grass is coming up as well....We had to plant Buffalograss as it is native to the soil here and all we have ever planted is fescue.....the type we purchased had to be planted the first part of June......then water, water, water.......it is paying off....the grass is beginning to poke its head up......I was told it would take 3 years for it to be completely established....lord....and I am not a very patient person but oh well.  Found someone to put up our guttering in the back this week.  So happy about that....My garden is so pretty.....my cowpeas are growing leaps and bounds and I so hope we have some tomatoes ripe to take this weekend to mama.....Time will tell.....Again...thanks sister for reminding me what I tend to forget...I know Daddy is right there with me all the time......we were digging potatoes and I could almost hear him say, "Well, honey...that is not bad for your first year here in this soil.  Now you need to add nutrients to the soil and till it in and next year will be even better."  haha...so that is exactly what we are doing.....
SMILE AND EVERYONE SMILES WITH YOU!!!!

Jo McDonald

YUM --- I do hope the tommy-toes turn red before you leave to come over here.   :P :P

Your garden sounds just like your Daddy said it would be.   You are a dutiful little "go-in" .

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk