Advertisements

Started by W. Gray, June 02, 2010, 10:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From the Elk County Ledger (Howard City), September 8, 1877

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Longton Weekly Ledger, August 15, 1872

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

Hmmm-------------there seems to be a huge need for coffins.  Were things that bad?

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

It was the food at the Cafe...  ;D no, I'm not serious! It's very nice.

W. Gray

Miller's restaurant would have been the eatery in Longton at the time.

I searched through the Longton cemetery dates and found fifteen names buried at the cemetery through 1872. Several were very young when they died.

But when a coffin is needed, it is one of those things that is needed in a short time.

"Murder City" at this time in local history was Peru.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk