Olive (Anderson) Vice birthday celebration

Started by larryJ, May 31, 2010, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

I was cleaning out a box of papers today and found this and thought I would post it.

From the Howard Courant-Citizen, Howard, Elk County, Kansas 67349 September 5, 1985--Volume 114 Number 36, page 2

FAMILY REUNION HIGHLIGHTS 85TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

A recent family reunion honored Olive (Anderson) Vice, on he 85th birthday which is officially celebrated on August 29th.  Family members, including grandchildren and great grandchildren from six states gathered at Edgemoor Park and Recreational Center in Wichita, KS, on Sunday August 11, where an Olive Vice Roast, complete with skits, pantomimes, songs, dances and buffet style luncheon highlighted the many activities of the afternoon.

Sons, Charles, Herb, Don and Tom and daughter Maxine participated in many hilarious skits.  Granddaughter Chris Spitak gave a special pantomime performance of "Grandma Vice and her famous travels" to all family members.  Even Olive joined in the afternoon entertainment by giving a reading  of one of her favorite poems "Bobbie Sheftoe" and telling everyone about her senior year at Howard High School where she kept her marriage to Russell "Red" Vice a secret until it was officially announced at her graduation in May of 1918.

Joining Olive for this special event were former Howard residents, nephews Ken Wisner and wife Liz, from Solomon, MD, along with Paul Wisner and wife Lile from Huntsville, Alabama.  Over twenty of Olive's grandchildren and great-grandchildren were with her for this reunion while the reminder sent cards and pictures in honor of her special day.

Pictures and posters depicting highlights of Olive's life were displayed as well as many family albums.  The entire activities were video taped so that Olive would always be able to have her enjoyable day ever celebrated captured on film.

This note appears to be something that one of my aunts may have sent to my mother and I had kept a lot of things of hers over the years.  I don't know who sent it to her, but there is a note the bottom that says----------Olive's first child, daughter, Mildred Vice, deceased, is not mentioned in the above article.  She was a nurse, if I remember correctly and served with the Waves during World War II.

Larryj

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Sometimes I am amazed at my own stupidity or lack of awareness or "early alzheimer's" or whatever you want to call it.  The above mentioned note was not sent to my mother in 1985 because my mother passed in 1966.  So, the note was sent to me probably by my brother, Jack.  Sorry about that.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

"Old timer's Disease"...In my case it's Part Timer's Disease. ;D ;D ;D ;D Totally forgivable in any case.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk