J. H. Heckerman, Elk Falls

Started by W. Gray, May 25, 2010, 01:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From Howard County Ledger (Elk Falls), April 15, 1875

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

W. Gray

As near as I can tell it is tobacco products made from short leaf tobacco vs long leaf tobacco.

Whether there might be a distinctive aroma or taste from each type I do not know.

I was surprised that they had bologna back then. Wonder what Upton Sinclair would have said about it. We used to call it baloney and apparently that is an acceptable word for the product.

I am surprised that someone has not asked or commented about there being a square in Elk Falls.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Thanks, now I know. All the tobacco that is grown anywhere near here is wrapper tobacco for cigars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk