Cart-less Authenticity

Started by royal barnes, June 05, 2006, 07:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royal barnes

My question on cart authenticity was answered and I appreciate the responses. Another question!!! If I choose not to bring a cart what are the rules on transport of long guns from a vehicle to the racks that are available at each stage? In SASS the long guns must not break the 170 and the levers or actions must be open. I do not wish to commit a hanging offense before my first stage. :)
SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG

Ottawa Creek Bill

Royal,
Muzzles straight up, actions/levers open.....pistols in holsters...unloaded of course....common sense included...
I think it would be a safe bet that the preceeding procdures will get you there OK.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Will Ketchum

I tend to carry them with the muzzles down actions open.  Thery balance better that way.  If you only have to go from the rack to the loading bench and back the muzzle up isn't bad but if you have to go aways it is harder to control the muzzle for me.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Sam Perfye

I agree with I Will, from the truck to the first stage, muzzles down, between stages, muzzles up. Been doing it this way for several years and have never been called on a safety violation. The best safety in the world is in the triangle formed by your ears and the top of your hat. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Irish Dave

Shalako wrote:
QuoteI agree with I Will, from the truck to the first stage, muzzles down, between stages, muzzles up.

Me, too. That's he way I usually carry mine.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ornery Orr

Been taught my whole life to keep muzzles up.  I don't care if your going to the truck or the next stage.  I was taught this as a youngster and also taught this in hunter safety class.  It's no harder to carry them muzzles up than it is muzzles down.  If an individual is not mentally capable of controlling their muzzles then maybe  they should concentrate harder or find another pastime where safety isn't a factor.  If an individual is not physically capable of controlling their muzzles then there is the option of a guncart.  MUZZLES UP!!!!!  I don't care how long you've been doing it, it's not the correct way and it's not the safe way!

Irish Dave

Well, muzzle up or down, I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone ever being shot with an open action. And that goes without saying, up, down, cart, no cart -- actions open, of course.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Will Ketchum

Quote from: Ornery Orr on June 06, 2006, 10:06:47 PM
Been taught my whole life to keep muzzles up.  I don't care if your going to the truck or the next stage.  I was taught this as a youngster and also taught this in hunter safety class.  It's no harder to carry them muzzles up than it is muzzles down.  If an individual is not mentally capable of controlling their muzzles then maybe  they should concentrate harder or find another pastime where safety isn't a factor.  If an individual is not physically capable of controlling their muzzles then there is the option of a guncart.  MUZZLES UP!!!!!  I don't care how long you've been doing it, it's not the correct way and it's not the safe way!

I doubt the Marines teach it wrong.  I was taught muzzle down and under control.   If you trip your gun goes down into the dirt.  If you trip Muzzles up it will likely result in someone being swept.  I personally don't care how someone carries their guns as long as the muzzle is under control.

If I am using a gun cart I carry the guns muzzle up to and from the cart.  Without a cart where you might have to walk a couple hundred yards with your ammo, guns, canteen and equipment I generally have my rifle in a case slung over my shoulder and my shotgun open under my left arm muzzle down.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Wymore Wrangler

I've got to agree with Orney Orr on this one, I don't know of anyone that ever planned on having an accident, but I have heard of a few Marines getting fragged and the excuse was I tripped ::) ::) ::)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

French Jack

If the action is open, and bothe the chamber and magazine are empty, there is no real difference in safety with the muzzles up or down.  Just different possible outcomes if the 'unloaded' firearm is discharged.  Muzzles up, if the carrier falls, someone is likely to get swept as the muzzle travels toward the ground.  Muzzles down, the muzzle is very likely to get dirt or debris creating a barrel obstruction.  Either can be hazardous, just different outcomes.

The main thing is to have the firearm UNLOADED and the ACTION OPEN, and the Muzzle UNDER CONTROL-- whether up or down.
Muzzle control equates with gun control.  Try to be aware where others are in relation to you and your firearm at all times.
French Jack

Ornery Orr

Most famous phrase heard at the scene of a shooting accident:  "I thought it was unloaded!"

Ornery Orr

Quote from: Will Ketchum on June 06, 2006, 10:37:43 PM
I doubt the Marines teach it wrong.  I was taught muzzle down and under control.   If you trip your gun goes down into the dirt.  If you trip Muzzles up it will likely result in someone being swept.  I personally don't care how someone carries their guns as long as the muzzle is under control.

If I am using a gun cart I carry the guns muzzle up to and from the cart.  Without a cart where you might have to walk a couple hundred yards with your ammo, guns, canteen and equipment I generally have my rifle in a case slung over my shoulder and my shotgun open under my left arm muzzle down.

Will Ketchum

The Marines taught me the same way, but I don't believe that going to a CAS shoot or going to war are categorized as being the same type of event.

Lone Gunman

There are several "Axioms of Safety" in our sport that, due to the irrevocable laws of physics, are simply wrong. For instance, people take great care to keep the muzzle of break top revolvers and derringers pointed downrange as they eject and reload. Once the action is open on these firearms the bullet and muzzle cease to be a threat. In the event of an unintended discharge the bullet would lodge harmlessly in the barrel, it is the lighter brass case that would become the projectile, this is an inarguable fact. Yet everyone takes great care to insure that the potential threat (the brass) is pointed directly at either the shooters own head/torso or back into the crowd behind the firing line.  ::)  That is a violation, not of the wording, but of the true intention of the 170 degree rule.

I believe SASS has a rule that muzzles must point up when in a guncart. The theory is that if a cart is made so that the muzzles are somewhat horizontal they are sweeping the other shooters. Now, depending on crowd density, those horizontal muzzles will likely be pointed at some body part of someone at sometime. With a vertical guncart the muzzles are pointed at the head/torso of the cart pusher 100% of the time the cart is being pushed. Wouldn't it seem logical that the potential for death would be less with the muzzle pointed at 'some body part some of the time' rather than pointed at the head all of the time?

While I certainly agree it's important to always be aware of where your muzzles are pointed, the most important things are that they are unloaded and the actions are open. With an open action the muzzle is not a threat.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Black River Smith

Someone correct me please, but I thought we also have a rule or guideline that if the gun is in a case or sock that it is safe to carry it with action closed.

That is why I created canvas cases/socks to carry my rifles to the range and between stages if time allows for reinserting.

I was informed about this at my first Nationals.

Is this true and correct still.
Black River Smith

Wymore Wrangler

Black River Smith, from the bylaws....

Safety and Procedure Rules for All National, Regional and NCOWS Posse Shoots

1.     Treat and respect every firearm as if it were loaded.

7.     All long guns will have actions open at all times except on the firing line or when they are in cases.

8.     When carrying firearms to loading or unloading tables, muzzles must be in vertical position, pointed straight up.

Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Will Ketchum

Quote from: Wymore Wrangler on June 07, 2006, 11:12:43 AM
Black River Smith, from the bylaws....

Safety and Procedure Rules for All National, Regional and NCOWS Posse Shoots

1.     Treat and respect every firearm as if it were loaded.

7.     All long guns will have actions open at all times except on the firing line or when they are in cases.

8.     When carrying firearms to loading or unloading tables, muzzles must be in vertical position, pointed straight up.

My procedure exactly.  Note number 7 doesn't say anything regarding the muzzle direction.  Also Like Lone Gunman said, I would rather be on the muzzle end of a break action gun with it's action open then on the breech end if it were to discharge.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

royal barnes

MY HEAD HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) :)
SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG

Delmonico

I will add a bit to the problem of breechs pointing in the wrong direction.  Back in the 90's I did a little benchrest shooting.  There was two incodents of folks being killed over a several year period by cases.  Both involved bench guns that had had a mis-fire, when the bolt was opened the round stuck in the chamber.  Both involved a cleaning rod and some heavy blows to remove the round.  When the round went off the case hit by-standers.

Now bench guns are famous for tight chambers and rounds that fit the chamber tight.  Often the bullet is seated slightly into the rifling upon closing the bolt.  Add a light fast firing pin strike and you will once in a while end up with a stuck round with a dented primer.  If the primer is not a true dud, the primer can be more sensitive to shock setting it off, it is the nature of the beast.

Could such a thing happen in this sport, you decide for yourself.

I know of one bolt action shotgun that had a misfire back in the 60's, when the bolt was opened it fired with the bolt un-locked, the bolt stop on most of those is just a machine screw.  It took a lot of stitches to sew up the wound in my uncles right arm.

Not trying to scare anyone, but a misfire can fire in a cartride gun as well as it can in a muzzle-loader, one should wait 30-60 seconds before any mis-fire has the breech opened.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Black River Smith

WW,

Thanks that is what I thought.  But since no one had mentioned the cased option I thought I would check or add it.

Del, I never had an accident with a misfire but you are totally correct that once the primer is dented the material is pressurized and therefore even more sensitive to shock ignition.  That is why I use a hand primer.  So I can feel the pressure/resistance placed on the seated primer.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com