Author Topic: Newbrassky  (Read 1829929 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Newbrassky
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
Good point Slim, but ya got other worries, Google up Prentice Olive, Ami Ketcham and Luther Mitchell.  Date December 10 1878, place Devil's Gap Custer County Newbrassky.

The real Slim might want ta go bird huntin, but the cyber one had better stay in jail.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2004, 02:50:04 PM »
OLIVE, ISOM PRENTICE (1840-1886). Prentice Olive, also known as Print Olive, an infamous cattleman, was born in Mississippi in 1840 to James and Julia Olive. In 1843, the family moved to Texas by covered wagon. Print received some basic grammar-school education in Williamson County, where the family settled, but his real education occurred on the open range of his family's ranch. Though his mother and sisters were Methodists, his father never forced him or his brothers to attend church. During the Civil War,qv Print fought on the side of the Confederacy. After the war he returned to Williamson County and began to make a name for himself as a rancher. In 1866 he managed a round-up for the entire region. With the assistance of his three brothers, Thomas, Ira and Bob, Print quickly became one of the big cattle ranchers in the area. Although great fortunes could be made in the cattle industry after the Civil War, it could also be a dangerous business. Print and his brothers were known to take the law into their own hands to protect their property. One notorious incident involved the murder of two suspected rustlers known as Turner and Crow. The men were killed by the "death of the skins," an old Spanish method of torture. Wrapped alive in green cowhides, the men were left to die as the sun slowly caused the skins to contract. Since the skins used had the Olive brand, the murders were widely believed to be done by the Olives. Despite an acquittal by the county court, many people continued to believe the brothers were guilty.

Violence seemed to haunt the entire Olive clan. Thomas Olive was killed in a gunfight and another brother, Bob, shot a local rancher, Cal Nutt. Print faced two indictments for murder but was found innocent both times. As the range filled up and conflicts increased, he decided to leave Texas. He first traveled to Colorado, but his reputation for lawlessness followed him and local ranchers forced him out of the area. Heading north, he settled in Custer County, Nebraska, in 1878. By 1879, tax records listed the Olives as one of the largest ranching outfits in the county. In an attempt to put a stop to widespread rustling, Print Olive and other ranchers formed the Custer County Livestock Association in 1878. The membership elected Olive president that same year. But in spite of their success, the Olives found themselves embroiled in violence once again. This time the dispute involved two neighboring ranchers, Mitchell and Ketchum. The sources of the argument are unclear. Some report that Mitchell and Ketchum were guilty of stealing Olive cattle. Others argue that the Olives were trying to push the small homesteaders off their land. The argument turned violent when Bob Olive went out to the Ketchum Ranch and was killed in a gunfight. When Ketchum and Mitchell were not convicted for the murder, a lynch mob, reportedly led by Print Olive, hunted down the two men and hanged them before setting their bodies on fire. Though it is not known whether Print Olive ordered the burning, the incident earned him the nickname "Man Burner." He was convicted of second-degree manslaughter, but on appeal the case was dropped when original witnesses failed to appear in court. Olive supposedly spent much of his money on legal fees and bribes to secure his release. What remained after the trials was lost when the beef market hit a slump in the 1880s. With his reputation and fortune ruined, Olive returned to Colorado. He was shot by a man named Joe Sparrow on August 18, 1886, in Trail City, Colorado, at the Haynes Saloon. Olive married Lousia Reno on February 4, 1866. They had four sons and a daughter.

"I guess I'll stay in jail 'til we get this thing straightened out. By the by, why do they think I stole cattle?"
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2004, 03:17:29 PM »
That runnin' irun ya carry in the saddle scabbard on the saddle on yer horse.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way they were never brought to trial, they were removed by less than honest means from the Buffalo County jail by the Sherriff of Keith County with paper work demandin' they be taken to Custer County.  In Custer County they were turned over to the Olive bunch North of Plum Creek.  What happened later is not really known, but they were hung and their bodies burned. 

But I will go ta Lincoln, there is a lawyer down there said ta be good, young fella just settin' up practice, they say he is quite the Silver Tongued Orator.  Some fella name Willim Bryan. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #323 on: Today at 10:09:19 AM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2004, 03:40:57 PM »
"Tain't no running brand. That is my iron I gots registered with the gov'ment of Nebrassky." ::)

Bryan was trained as a lawyer at Northwestern University. He practiced law in Lincoln , Nebraska, and represented Nebraska in Congress. Throughout his career, Bryan held fast to his Midwestern values; his deeply held religious beliefs and his consistent defense of the ordinary American earned him the moniker "the Great Commoner."
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/William%20Jennings%20Bryan
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2004, 03:52:40 PM »
It's ok I just talked to the Sherriff, I found the head of yer brandin' irun still in the scabbard, it just fell off.  We'll find a blacksmith ta weld it back on, no wonder the thought it was a runnin' irun.   ;D

That will save me a trip ta Lincoln.  Ya got ta be more careful, that was a close one. ;D ;D

Ya could have ended up like this fella. :P

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/award/nbhips/lca/162&topImages=16258r.jpg&topLinks=16258v.jpg&displayProfile=0&title=Execution%20of%20Albert%20E.%20Huanstien%20at%20Broken%20Bow,%20Nebraska&m856s=$dnbhips$f16258&dir=ammem&itemLink=D?psbib:2:./temp/~ammem_pi0l::

Oh well, at least ya would have been a crowd pleaser. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2004, 04:00:29 PM »

"Now, can I get outta here so we can hire the well drillers, get that fancy windwill fan, and get outta this blasted town?"  >:(

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2004, 04:13:51 PM »
I guess if you want, but Cabela's has a store here, don't you want to go there before we leave town. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Besides that the state has built an arch museum over the Orygon Trail (I-80) don't ya want to visit that. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2004, 04:16:58 PM »
"Sure, but lets find a blacksmith first to fix my iron so I don't get arrested agin."

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »

Just leav'in the courthouse they runs into Brazos Bucky, "well howdy Slim, and to you too Delmonico."  BB is a thinkin' that Delmonico sure do get that feller Slim in a lot o' trouble!  "Hey that arch there goin' ta build over that new fangled Hiway is sure a looker!  Been under it many a time in the future.  Well, you two take care I'll be moseyin' along." BB again thinks to hisself as he walks down the boardwalk.  Thought that Cabela's place was goin' ta be build in Sidney?  ??? Anyways, sure do like to shop there. ;D

BB 8)
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2004, 10:52:17 PM »
Well in the future they gonna build one at Sidney ta help suppy the folks headin' ta the Blackhills fer gold.  Later they gonna build one close ta where the Orygon Trail meets the Platte so folks goin' ta Calyforia and Orygon can get stuff fer the trip over the mountians with out havin ta go bout 40 miles south of the trail.  The one in Sidney is good fer folks travelin' the UP.

Don't worry I wouldn't really let them hang Slim, why I bet this afernoon was the first time he's ever been in a jail, even if it was just a cyber jail. ;D  Why I bets he don't know they take a mans boot, hat and suspenders from him in jail. ::)  Er at least I've heard they do. ::) ::) ::) ::)  Oh do tell them not ta put tha hat under the boots in that jail bag. ::)  Why they even take a mans silk neck rag. ::) ::)  But I wouldn't know it was just a minor paperwork error. ::) ::)  Why do they paint the walls such an ugly color of yallar. ::) Not that I would know, just rumor I've heard. ::) 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2004, 12:31:35 AM »
 ;)

BB
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2004, 01:11:23 PM »
With Slim saflely on the East bound UP, headin' back home ta make connections with his huntin' party, Delmonico heads back to the ranch on his mule.  With Slim not gonna be back fer most a week, he will have plenty of time ta get Slim inta more trouble by searchin' the picture collections.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In fact here's a picture of Slim and his huntin' party takin' a break.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?ngp:1:./temp/~ammem_2lUc::displayType=1:m856sd=ndfahult:m856sf=b214:@@@
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2004, 02:06:56 PM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother pops in to see a deserted ranch. No wagons, no fence, no nothing, she can't even get the crystal ball to open up so she can take a peek at Slim and his hunting party.

She starts to sigh when a gigantic tumbleweed rolls in, runs her down and carries her away...

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2004, 09:00:33 PM »
Delmonico decides ta head back to the ranch.  He's a bit discussted that the Dakota link don't work as well as the Nebrassky links do.. :(  Slim took the yaller dog with him ta chase Chinese Chickens.  Most likely nuthin' happenin' at the ranch but some tumble weeds. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: October 19, 2004, 05:12:44 AM »
The only sign of her passage at the ranch is a piece of broken stick that could have been a part of her wand, and some scraps of blue fabric.

Meanwhile, she comes around somewhere in the foothills of Wyoming in a place that looks like a truck stop for tumbleweeds. Seeing her broken wand, the Frumpy Fairy Godmother utters some unmentionable and unprintable words under her breath. She sticks out her thumb in hopes of a ride East, but the prevailing wind is still to the west and the rustling of the tumbleweeds makes it sound like they are giggling at her.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2004, 08:49:33 AM »
Ariveing back in camp Dlemonico finds some scraps of blue cloth at a small sticjk.  Confused the throws the stick in the pile of scarce kindling and tosses the scraps of cloth in his sewin' kit to use a pathc material. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »
A few days later, she comes wandering back to the ranch, looking a little worse for wear and tear: pieces of tumbleweed snared in her hair, the hem of her skirt ragged and dirty, and sporting a sunburnt nose. She is, however, sporting a new stick in her hand.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2004, 10:11:40 PM »
Delmonico says howdy ta the fairy godmother, sit and have some supper, decided I needed something ta spice things up so I made Chili, no beans and real meat and canned maters, just like proper.  Been quiet with out Slim, bet he checks it out from the ridges with a spy glass before he rides in, he thinks I got some big mess ta put him in. ;D

He don't trust me, he's logged in and checked on us a couple a times. ;D ;D ;D

Spose I better think sumthin' up ta do ta him in the mornin' he be expectin' it. ::) ::)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2004, 10:49:47 PM »
"Chili is best with no beans and real meat." The frumpy fairy godmother accepts a bowl with a big hunk of bread to push things around.

"Figure something should happen to Slim, hope it is better than a ride on a..." she pauses to mumble under her breath, "... tumbleweed."

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2004, 10:11:30 AM »
Slim rides toward camp with his saddle bags full of Chinese Chickens from the Dakota territory. The yaller dog is trotting 15 yards ahead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com