New Cowboy Movie

Started by Cooper York, May 18, 2006, 09:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

Ben Johnson got his start in the Movies when he was hired to bring some horses to Hollywood for Howard Hughes Movie "The Outlaw".  He started "doubling" for most of the top western actors of the 50's. Ben took a year off in 1953 and went back on the Pro Rodeo circuit and won the 1953 Wold Champion Steer Roper. Ben received his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in "The Last Picture Show". Most everyone recognizes Ben from his roles in John Wayne's westerns. I was very fortunate to meet Ben in the early 80's in Fort Worth,Texas where I am Deputy Sheriff.  Ben was a sponsor for a celebrity team roping event for abused children that was held in Fort Worth. Ben was a Cowboy that just happened to be a great actor.  I have also gotten to know one of today's better know western actors--Buck Taylor from his role in "GunSmoke". Buck was also recognized as a great Western Artist. His artwork is advertized on the CASCITY website. Buck is at the StockShow in Ft Worth each to exhibit his artwork. Buck is also a Cowboy who happens to be a great actor.  Buck's dad was "Dub" Taylor who was a famous character actor for about 50 0r 60 years.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Coop Trawlaine

George "Gabby" Hayes played a heavy a number of times back in the early 1930s John Wayne movies.  You know the ones, "Singing Sandy", John Wayne was the first singing cowboy (of sorts).  I love those oldies with the Duke and Yakima Canutt also playing a heavy.  Many of the Character actors, supporting roles were top actors themselves if not "Stars".
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Cyrille

I didn't mean to imply that those who played supporting role were 'bad actors' they had to be good to work in film particularly John Ford westerns.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Coop Trawlaine

Awww, Heck, Cyrille I didn't mean to imply that you mean't any such thing.  No siree!  Jest was a thinkin' I ought to give them favorite ole pards of ours their due credit. 
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Trinity

Sat., Aug. 26 at 9:45 AM / EST

and

Sat., Sep. 23 at 8:00 PM / EST 

Who said it was off the air after the first night?. ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Cyrille

Now Trinity that wouldn't be "Broken Trail would it? ::)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Trinity

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com